Just Starting Out

Backroader

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I figure the best way to start is ask questions before I pick up a bike !

In 1973 I was eyeing up my bud's 1972 XS and thought some day I might get one of those.... Well now that I am retired, it's time.

I have had 17 bikes in the past and still no XS650...I did have a 1978 750, however just not the same. (Still no Harley either)

My current daily rider is a 2009 F800GS

DSCN2198.jpg

Anyway enough story telling and time for questions ?

The target bike is a 1979 model...I have found one, red which I believe is not the orginal colour, it's was running and according to the owner, it still has good rubber. It's been a couple of years since it was last ridden. He claims it has low mileage; apparentley it's been some time since he has actually paid any attention to the bike.

SO....what should I know about this model ?

Is it going to cost me an arm and a leg for parts ? From what I have seen out this iste, there are some suppliers.

Is this model worth spending time on for restoration or should I be looking for older ? (I don't want to cause a fight here, just looking for "constructive feed back" )

197920XS65020Special1.jpg

Look forward to your thoughts and comments

Greg

...as a starter, for the right price, why not? although not collectable like the earlier XS1/1B/2 or TX or Police models, shes a product of all the design modifications...as a platform for daily ride or personalisation its a classy cheap alternative...if youre not into the soft chopper style she could be easily standardised, as for the rest, well were often limited mostly by our own lacks of imagination spiced with financial perspectives...if youre looking for a restorable collecter, youre probably a bit too early as theres still plenty around...a trendy bike right now-pushing up prices-as they become harder to find and afford many will wish they had 1 or 2 like this sitting in the shed for spares and projects

Thanks for the feed back !

I have been lurking around, the old usual haunts, Kijiji, EBay and various Buy and Sell Papers and to date my research has brought me to the same conclusion....... lots of 1979 to 1981's out there.

I don't really want that look, the 1972 to 1977/78 seem to have the appeal.

I will contiue to search....

As you've already figured out, if you’re looking for a restoration project, look for an XS a few years older. Check out http://www.marks650yamahas.com/ for an idea of what the older ones look like restored. They have a much more classic look than the later XS650s.

As you've already figured out, if you're looking for a restoration project, look for an XS a few years older. Check out http://www.marks650yamahas.com/ for an idea of what the older ones look like restored. They have a much more classic look than the later XS650s.

Thanks Travis....spoke to Mark this evening and we had a real good chat.

He has got some great looking bikes and his work appears to be very good.

Who knows I may get an XS before too long. I have got a few irons in the fire so I'll keep hunting.

As I suspected 1978 and newer are not highly sought after as there just a pile of them out there.

Yeah Mark knows his stuff. If you ever need a older XS restoration project painted and want nothing but the best, he's your guy.

You should buy the 78 and chop it, and look for an older one to restore. :D

I am going to check out a couple of other bikes before I buy something...

Will post pics once I have something

- Marks ... Travis, is this how you were introduced to XS's? did he pass the virus on? its an sSTD... seriously Socially Transmittable Delight

Oh, now, now. Oh!
(I shot the sheriff.) - the sheriff.
(But I swear it was in self defence.)
Oh, no! (Ooh, ooh, oo-oh) Yeah!
I say: I shot the sheriff - Oh, Lord! -
(And they say it is a capital offence.)
Yeah! (Ooh, ooh, oo-oh) Yeah!

inxs, you're crazy.... No I was just getting into them at the time. I had an XS frame in the back of my truck and went to the car wash to wash all of crap off of it. As I was leaving Mark was stopped behind some cars at a stop sign riding an old XS. I hollered out the window "Nice bike!" We talked briefly and I mentioned I had an XS frame in the back of my truck. Later I was selling some parts on craigslist and he called me and we made the connection about the car wash. Then when I sold the XS2, he came over and looked at the bike, didn't want it, but bought some other parts from me. Then about a month ago he bought the XS1 drum wheel I had for sale.

- i like the drum optic...similar is the SR500 - there are differences...the SR has 5 holes on the RHS, the XS has 6,..,the cooling vent on the left is different too

- its a direct swap on the 35mm forks with holes for a 298mm disc when you remember the LH bracket

FritzXS1.jpg

PC110005-1.jpg

file.jpg

- belongs to a bloke living in ontario, the sr below is one of my daily rides though

both are nice rides,damn that looks like a pretty big license plate you all have up there . how big is that thing:yikes: i dont think you could side mount that sail,lol:laugh:

I wish me had more SR500s here. I think they only imported them into the US for two years and it makes bikes and parts a little more difficult to come by. On the other hand, it makes mine worth more! :D

- yea, i have a soft spot for 500 singles...learnt to ride on a 27 ES2 500 norton single which i still have somewhere...a good third of my bikes are probably thumpers, most of the rest being twins...had a few ringadings when i was moto-xing, trials riding and living in asia but theyre not really my thing...bought the first model xt500 new and loved it - hated the sr when it first came out but it kind of grew on me - also have an srx600 which is a lot of fun too

- the sr and xs both have strong followings here in germany

damn sorry ,for some reason i thought you were in canada:laugh:still you all do have some mighty big plates . if you see any side mounted plates please send some pics i bet that is some funny sh*t there

- did live in canada for a few years - vancouver is my all time favourite city
- still have a bike sitting in both vancouver and toronto, maybe even a kid or three that i dont know of
- plate is 200 x 250 mm, standard size and do get side mounted occassionally, cant find a photo off-hand but will look

Back