Keihin flatslide PWK carburetor, oppinions, issues?

Ok. Pulled slides. One slide doesnt sit square on my flat metal plate. I put an angle square next to it. Not square. Shoud I work to square the bottom to the slide sides so it's 90 degrees to it's sides?
Looking at the other slide.
Where are you measuring the needles?

Posted via Mobile

Got the slides out. One's bottom is far out of square to it's sides.
IMAG1754.jpg

Should I work to square off the bottom to it's sides? It leans to one side and leans back away from the oval side. Both have that kinda lean.

Worried I might sand off more of one than the other and create matching seating issues.
Opinion?

WOW!!!! Just noticed that the tab for the idle screw tip to touch the slides are totally different thicknesses.
I had wondered why one idle screw felt to touch much faster. WOW!!!! Mike's XS is pissing me off. I pushed my buddy
to buy these to solve using the stock BS38 with pods. WOW.
F##KING pissed.

Last edited:
WOW!!!! Just noticed that the tab for the idle screw tip to touch the slides are totally different thicknesses.

I couldn't find the thread were a guy had the exact same issue. The tabs at the top were different but so were the cutouts. Sounds like you have mismatched slides. Just send it all back to Mike's.

Here is a photo of the two slides. Ummmm see any differences?
IMAG1758.jpg

Mike's XS response to email and request for two identical ones to be sent to me....
"Sounds like a bad casting. Please return the bad one and we'll send you a new one..."
SEND THEM THE BAD ONE?? Which is the "bad one"? The one on the right was so far
off square on it's bottom to sides I tried to finely sand it square and even. Then I noticed the one on the left and it's mill marks around the idle tab.
Did they no look at the two photos I attached to the email?

Send me two identically matched ones so I don't have to sit here and hope the new one matches the one I kept. Being that I mailed back the "bad one".

Damn

OOOHHH YEAH, for shits and giggles I tested the rectifier today. Ummmmmmmm no resistance readings at all. Not even zeros. Just found a big Ghost!!

Wanna buy a solid state combo unit today. Anyone have ideas where I can purchase one in Los Angeles? Sudco no longer carries them.
:banghead:

WOW. I EMAIL MIKE'S XS WITH PHOTOS OF THEIR BAD AND ILL MATCHING SLIDES TO REQUEST THEY SEND NEW ONES TO REPLACE THE BAD SLIDES IN THE CARB SETUP THEY SOLD ME . I ASKED IF THEY COULD SEND FIRST SO I COULD CONTINUE THE WORK I'M DOING ON TUNING ELECTRIC. ANSWER, "NO. WE CANT DO THAT. WE'LL GET THEM OUT QUICK , AS SOON AS WE RECEIVE THEM". AM I WRONG TO BE DISAPOINTED IN THAT RESPONSE? I SPEND OVER $350 ON THE CARB SET AND THEN $48 ON A CAM CHAIN AND THEY CAN'T SEND ME TWO $15 SLIDES TO REPLACE THE BAD ONES I BOUGHT FROM THEM?:mad::mad: GONNA COST ME TIME MONEY TO MAIL BACK, WHICH I'LL SWALLOW, BUT AFTER THEY SEND ME THE CORRECT ONES.
WE JUST BOUGHT THESE A MONTH AGO.
AM I WRONG?:confused:

Posted via Mobile

UPDATE!!!! The guys at Mike's XS, misunderstood me and thought I was asking for two whole carbs to be mailed out.
They are mailing me two new ones.
Wanted to straighten that out and give them credit.

Fingers crossed.

So, got the newer set of "matching" slides. Did all the set-up pre synching routine. Bike does run better. But still have that annoying missing in the power band. Seems to almost go away after 30 minutes of riding. Suspecting coils. I checked the point gaps and if points were arching to motor and all. Then pulled the advance unit out to grease it up and make sure it's moving easily. Didn't really make a difference.
After riding it around for about 20 minutes last night it seemed to be cleaning up a bit. Gonna start her up today and see if it starts off the same way or not.
Thinkin I may push my buddy to go the Pamco route and a new dual high out put coil.

Also, still having the issue of one cylinder running richer that the other with pretty much the same mix settings. :banghead: Infact, I've had to adjust one more out than the other. Got one running leanish and one running rich. :doh:

Hey guys I just posted about my Keihins but maybe this is the place for the answer. My left carb is pissing fuel out of the overflow hole in the bottom left corner, can anyone tell me hoe to fix this?

Did you read post one? The overflow tubes are a known problem.
In fact most if not all of the problems with these are in this thread.
I would check the float height, the float needle and seat, but look at the tubes first.
It could be cracked or not seated well.

Man oh man, this thread is real head shaker. It's fine that Mikes sells some questionable quality but *cheap* Chinese reproductions of parts we need. It is what it is, XS K-Mart, and that's a useful thing to have available but these "big ticket" items they carry and charge premium dollars for often turn out to be the same cheap quality level. It's ridiculous to mark them up the way they do, unethical. $600 pipes that arrive all rusty inside? $300 seats with loose covers and mangled trim? $300 carbs with this level of wonky shit inside them? Come on. All of those prices should be cut in half.

Speaking of half, you can get genuine OEM spec'd flat slide carbs for half of what you guys are paying for this shit. ---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANSHEE-MIK...1uSw9lsgTrQzJ52MCImCOGA=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Well, even after getting them "dialed in", I still found myself messing with the air screws almost daily to keep it running right. The sticky slide issue has also crept back, so I figured one slide was sticking when I would let off a bit and de-synchronize the carbs. Running around with two vacuum gauges mounted to the bars confirmed this.

The first thing I did was remove and inspect the slides. On both of them, the chrome is already starting to bubble and flake off. More so on the right slide which is the one that was sticking. Simple test, swap slides and see if the problem follows it. It doesn't, so I'm probably not fighting a bad slide.

Since the stretched slide spring didn't last, I tried heavier springs. Imagine my surprise when the sticking throttle got WORSE. That could only mean one thing, the cables are sticking. Again, simple test, swap cables left and right and see if the problem follows it. After getting the cables off, the problem was obvious, there was no need to hook them back up for more tests. When I pulled on the cable end and twisted the throttle, it felt like a hack saw and there were several spots where it would catch.

After thoroughly examining the cables I determined that the problem was in the splitter. When moving it by hand you can feel several ridges that prevent it from sliding smoothly. I open it up and see gouge marks in the walls where the cable ends have been scraping. The plastic piston is way too small for the bore and just kind of flopping around in there. The cable ends stick out the sides of the piston and ride right on the wall of the sleeve.

So now the bike is grounded until I can find a replacement cable. Wouldn't you know it, today was the first sunny day since I got this bike on the road over a month ago.

wow this is interesting reading Mrriggs you have allot of patience. I had the same problem and replaced the slid barrel with one for a triumph got it from steadfast cycles.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TRIUMPH-NORT...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a02c7f08

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Triumph-BSA-...ccessories&hash=item2579b5869c&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

been following this thread, have a set of them too, got to the cable junction tube and replaced it from one i had for a Norton. (no ridges in the bore) tried to get to the link for the stiffer springs but found they dont stock the part. Do they still supply them ?

im about to start with these carbs this week. Excited from all i read. ha!

Thanks for your input mr briggs. Still a little confused on which throttle cable to get, but I am going to call Sudco, i think.

Ok I've been having fun. Got em all hooked up and the left side decides to leak gas real bad. First it's coming out of the hole on the bottom of the bowl as circled. I plugged that ans then it decides to leak out thru the air filter. This is all just w turning thr gass on, not running it. Any ideas??
eb3jir.jpg

Float is stuck. You can first try tapping the bowl with the handle of a screw driver to free it up. Carbs do it from time to time. Don't plug that or any lines coming off the carb, as they are vents for it.

Pull them off and set them on a shelf. Chalk it all up as a learning experience and get a good set of carbs.
I'm collecting the things I need to put the EX500 carbs on. Waiting on some jets.
Leo

Float is stuck. You can first try tapping the bowl with the handle of a screw driver to free it up. Carbs do it from time to time. Don't plug that or any lines coming off the carb, as they are vents for it.

Thank you. That would make sense. I tried to make sure it was moving around inside but its a tight squeeze in there with the breather valve. I'll try this tonight.

Pull them off and set them on a shelf. Chalk it all up as a learning experience and get a good set of carbs.
I'm collecting the things I need to put the EX500 carbs on. Waiting on some jets.
Leo

Well, I got em, I spent money on the correct parts to get them to run as they should and I'm determined to TRY and make these work. Luckily I have the very knowledgable group that is xs650 to help!

Back