1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Kent Money's First Build - "Beginner's Luck"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KentMoney, Jun 11, 2011.

1. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

On your steel plates, if you look closely you will see and feel the sharp egde where the steel was stamped out when they were made. Use a medium sand paper around 150 to 200 grit or so to remove this sharp edge.
    Once you get this sharp edge removed and a slight bevel in it's place, use a courser paper 80 to 100 grit to rough up and remove the discoloration on the flat sides of the steel plates.
    Doing this will let the steel plates slide easier both when disengaging and engaging the clutch. It will also help keep the ridges on the basket from forming.
    Cleaning and roughing up the plates will improve the grip between the fiber and steel plates.
    Leo

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. KentMoney

KentMoney XS650 Addict

Yes, I am regretting not servicing the pressure plates when I had them out. if the bike is in gear and I pull the clutch all the way, I can still feel drag on the clutch and I think it's from the warped pressure plates...

3. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Even with everthing perfect, there will still be some clutch drag when in gear and the clutch lever pulled. The pressure plate only moves about 3.5 mm from closed to open. Not much space really, so the oil between them drags the plates.
    It's just the way it is.
    Leo

4. Dorzok

Dorzok XS650 Enthusiast

yup. common to pretty much all bikes.

5. drewfunk

drewfunk Purveyor of fine flannels

Where did you get that sweet canvas bag setup? I want one!

6. Do you have a vid of the bike with that muffler? Im considering going this route with my upcoming build and havnt seen many people with it.

7. KentMoney

KentMoney XS650 Addict

I don't but I'll try to get one this weekend.

8. Thanks! Also, a pic of the muffler closer up would be nice. How is it mounted?

9. KentMoney

KentMoney XS650 Addict

I got a mount flux welded to the frame so excused the slopiness. Pretty solid though.

[​IMG]

I'll try to get a video this weekend.

[​IMG]

10. KentMoney

KentMoney XS650 Addict

Well, it's been exactly a year and a month since the rebuild (and since getting my license) and I've clocked 6,800 miles on my moto. I'm attempting to get a GS750 I bought back on the road and when it's done I want to tear down my xs650 for final paint, rewiring, and finish a few more details on the bike (bought some progressive rear shocks, want to lower the front an inch, gauge fairing). Stay tuned.

But here she is, road grime and all (she's my daily rider).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]