Kick back on starting when hot

bill932

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1971 xs1b that has a BOYER BRANSON micro digital system that calls for a 4.5 ohm primary coil. Bike starts easily when cold but kicks back and hard starting when warm. my coil reads 5.5 ohms when cold and up to 8.0 ohms when heated with a heatgun.I think I have a bad coil. What is your opinion?

A coil is 2 sets of copper wire wound around an iron core. Increasing the temperature will increase the resistance. Depending on what you subtract for your zero set indication that 2many alluded to above, and not knowing what the temperature increase was ... you're most likely in the normal range.

Yes, your coil is broken if you're able to measure resistance. Revert to stock ignition and save the next $1000. Resistance of wire goes down with heat. Resistance of fubarness goes up with heat

Resistance of wire goes down with heat.
:umm:
upload_2021-4-10_10-13-13.png

upload_2021-4-10_10-12-34.png

Check your battery voltage. If the voltage gets too low it upsets the Boyers timing. There is an excellent trouble shooting guide on the Boyer webpage.

REPLY TO Two Many xs1b s Put new batt in meter. Leads shorted reads 00.4 ohms. Coil reads4.6 ohms . After riding coil reads 5.3 Sound normal? Coil supposed to read 4.5.

Back