Kick Start case Break

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
In the midst of cleaning casings for vapour blast and noticed this (pic below) apparent deterioration of the casing around the kick start spring return. As I recall, the engine i am currently running has the same sort of issue with no apparent effect on operation, BUT, with the casings apart and upon more thorough examination there appears to be a "pin" broken and lodged in the casing. It doesn't show on any parts manual I have. Anybody out there able to advise?

Attachments

• IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 127
The hook on the return spring hooks around a post that is part of the casting of the case. This post can get broken off.
When it gets broken people drill a hole where the post was and replace it with a roll pin or a bolt.
I think a bolt would be better. This way you can thread it in and lock it with a nut.
As long as the pin holds the spring it will be fine.
Leo

The hook on the return spring hooks around a post that is part of the casting of the case. This post can get broken off.
When it gets broken people drill a hole where the post was and replace it with a roll pin or a bolt.
I think a bolt would be better. This way you can thread it in and lock it with a nut.
Leo

Leo
That's helpful XS. I thought the spring post was still in tact at the point where the casings meet but ill have another look when I get there.

Cheers

Yes, the spring anchor point is a casting just below the seam where the upper and lower case halves mate .....

MAYwijB.jpg

Here's a better look at it, with the kick shaft removed .....

NhO7aFA.jpg

I'm not sure what that little hole with what appears to be a broken pin in it is for. Not for anything in the kick start area. Maybe it's for something farther inside the cases, in the tranny area?

That’s even better with pics Twins. The spring anchor is still fine in my casting but that little whole with what looks like a broken pin in it is really baffling. It doesn’t go right through the case for anything tranny wise. Real mystery.

What about the casing damage below that pin? It’s from the kick return banging into it. As I said earlier, my running engine has the same thing with no impact on performance????

I don't think there's much you can do about the damage. You might keep it from getting worse by not letting the kicker spring back up on it's own. I always keep my foot on it at the bottom of the stroke, then let it back up with my foot easy. In other words, I don't let it spring back up on it's own.

Just looked at the cases on my dummy motor. The steel insert is cast into the case. The small hole doesn't go all the way through to the tranny side. So I'm gonna guess the hole was for an alignment pin to hold the steel insert oriented correctly during casting.

3.jpg

I don't think there's much you can do about the damage. You might keep it from getting worse by not letting the kicker spring back up on it's own. I always keep my foot on it at the bottom of the stroke, then let it back up with my foot easy. In other words, I don't let it spring back up on it's own.
Good advice. Thanks

Just looked at the cases on my dummy motor. The steel insert is cast into the case. The small hole doesn't go all the way through to the tranny side. So I'm gonna guess the hole was for an alignment pin to hold the steel insert oriented correctly during casting.

View attachment 154800
That makes sense. No other apparent reason. Thanks Jim

Back