Kick Start is turning inside of clutch but not engine

81xs650sws

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my engine to turn over that's been sitting for about 10 years. It was running when it was parked. When you take the cover off of the left side of the engine the kick start moves freely but doesn't turn the engine. When you replace the cover the kick start won't budge. When it does move it turns the inside of the clutch but something isn't engaging. I'm not sure what the problem is and I would appreciate it if someone could give me some suggestions.

let the clutch out?
take the left side cover off so there is absolutely no pressure from the clutch actuator.

Have you done anything at all to the clutch, like take the pressure plate off and on? If yes, then you didn't align the pressure plate right when you put it back on, there is an alignment hole and mark that you have to get right.

1. The kick start only works if you are in neutral with the clutch engaged. (With the clutch lever not pulled) The kick starter works on the transmission side of the clutch. This also means that if you have a badly slipping clutch you cannot kick start the engine. I would suggest that you adjust the clutch.

2. If the kick starter will not move after you have removed and reinstalled the wet side cover, then I would suggest that you did not reinstall the cover properly and the kick starter gears are jammed.

3. To verify if the engine is seized, I would suggest that you use a 17mm wrench on the alternator rotor bolt and try to turn the engine over. If you can turn the engine over, then see 1 and 2 above.

Since youve had the left side cover off make sure you didnt lose the ball bearing off the worm gear. If youve had the clutch apart make sure you put the washers in there correct order ( i dont remember at the moment...i blame beer haha). The link in the tech section "all about the clutch" is very helpful

Back