Kick start only, power source for lights

WPGxs650_brat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off I have a 78 XS650 Special.

I am in the process of building my brat. The plan is to go kick only, and with a Hughs Hand Built complete CDI. Here in Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) to be road legal (74 and lower don't need signals I THINK) I need turn signals. So my question is, what are you guys with kick only using for your power source for your lights (Signals, Brake/Running light, Headlight)? I am assuming that the capacitor cannot support my lighting requirement.

The generator should make enough power for that. The cap is mainly to smooth the ripple from the generator, I think. I'd keep the starter though; you don't have to use it ;) But there are times when mine will start with the starter and not with kick, and vice versa. Whatever you want to do you'll find diagrams for it here somewhere.

The generator should make enough power for that. The cap is mainly to smooth the ripple from the generator, I think. I'd keep the starter though; you don't have to use it ;) But there are times when mine will start with the starter and not with kick, and vice versa. Whatever you want to do you'll find diagrams for it here somewhere.
So you're saying, the capacitor and charging system "should" support the lights?

I had kickstart only with caps for awhile. Kept having issues with the black capacitors taking a shit. Vibrations maybe? There's a blue one that spring mounts. It's made by Sparx, I haven't tried it yet, I'm having de ja vu, I just replied this on another thread yesterday. Haha. You're doing the right thing replacing the whole charging system. I ended up going with the 4 cell Anitgravity battery. I love it and won't shut up about it. Just make sure you're reg/rec. isn't throwing to many volts. Turn signals, I go led. You can buy a cheap led relay at any parts store. I also run a small fuse box. My signals, headlight, etc off of it. My last wire job I went from my battery thru my toggle switch (kill switch) to the fuse box. Not sure but I believe I have another job where I ran my fuse box off a wire from the reg/rec.Hope this helps.

So you're saying, the capacitor and charging system "should" support the lights?
Yes it will. I haven't had Hughs system but other PMA systems, lights will dim with rpm and at stop lights. This isn't an issue but if your bike shakes (straight pipes) it will be hard on capacitors.

LOL it's a PMA. Can't believe ppl still do that. Old sales posts still on here by ppl who haven't showed their face here in years. Don't forget to 277 it too. You'll be so happy you'll think you're riding a well, there's just nothing else like it.

Last edited:
Back