Kick Starter R.H. Case Cover Seal Question

YAM277

Yamaholic
Reaction score
I've been looking through the manuals and posts and they don't show a washer or shim that fits inside the right side case cover to shim the Kick Starter Seal? Can you take a look at these pics and suggest if it's right or is there a part number for a missing shim here? There is about .014 room behind the back of the case cover and seal. 1979 XS650 SF. Thanks ahead of time guys.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_08.JPG
    IMG_08.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_09.JPG
    IMG_09.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_10.JPG
    IMG_10.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
some had them, some didn't. my 1980 does not have one, possibly po lost it long ago, but my buddies' 1980 does,

That's fine, no shim needed.
Face of the seal flush with the case opening is all you need.
You can seat the seal all the way in if you like.
I think they look better if left flush...

Appreciate the help, I was wondering if the case cover changeover might have added something I couldn't find, the previous P.O. probably switched the case covers, because I haven't seen 79's with the oil sight gauge in the R.H. cover? I don't think it was until '81?

I added some Hondabond 4 to the seal edges, before installing? Made it go in easier and was trying to be proactive to leaks, in the same effort?

There usually is a shim washer on the shaft between the snap ring and the cover.
A quick run through years of fiches doesn't show the shim but it's usually there. It is easily lost as it tends to stick to the cover and can fall off during handling of the cover.

Just to be sure we're all on the same page,
There is NO shim that goes behind the seal, as implied in post#1, pic #2.

But, as Angus and gggGary have posted, there usually IS a shim that fits on the kickstart shaft, outside of the clip, and against the cover's bearing boss face, as indicated by part #12 in the first pic of this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40142

To my understanding, does this washer go up against the backside of the R.H. case cover, while overlapping the cir-clip on the kick shaft assembly?

And is this the part number - At Yamahapartshouse, #10 and #12 (Washer, Plate, 90201-256K6-00) have the same part number.

Yep, I think you've got it. Here's the early parts fiche, showing only one washer, #20, in the parts pic. But, showing two washers in the parts listing. This DOES lead to confusion, and the folks here have cleared that up...

Attachments

• 70-72-KickStarter02.jpg
    70-72-KickStarter02.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 70-72-KickStarter01.jpg
    70-72-KickStarter01.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 243
Here's the 1979 kickstart parts page, showing washer #10 and your matching part number.
It only shows that 1 washer (shim), but folks have found a second washer there, which reduces lateral play, and can improve kickstart gear engagement depth.

Attachments

• 79-KickStart.jpg
    79-KickStart.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 197
It doesn't overlap the circlip, it butts up against it. It's a spacer washer to take up excess in-out play of the kicker shaft (if need be). Look at your last pic. The washer is just like the one behind the circlip, in fact it's the same part #/part.

Install your cover as in pic #1. Grab the kicker shaft with your hand and see how much you can move it in and out. If it moves more than, say, 1/16", you probably want to add the shim washer.

Thanks 2M, I just ordered this yamaha part 90201-256K6-00, a few weeks ago for the 1mm washer that covers the bearing coming out of the case, for my clutch assembly (now being correct) and I remember watching Carbon's video, when he mentioned "hey this looks like the same washer on the kick shaft assembly"!
Coulda, woulda, shoulda, ordered 2 washers back then? Well atleast I know they are the same now.
Thanks again!

Time to order another one! (yamaha part 90201-256K6-00)

Attachments

• IMG_48.JPG
    IMG_48.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 214
Also thanks to 5T, I see that it will butt up against the circlip. Taking away any movement in the kick shaft assembly. I can see spin lines on the back of my case cover, in the pics I posted, I'm sure this will protect and space this correctly.

Hey 2M thanks again for your help on this part searching witch hunt, when I found this pic in the minton mods section, I immediately thought of you. Here it shows the washer placed over the circlip.

Attachments

• Motor10.jpg
    Motor10.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 219
Back