Kicker doesn't rotate

John Coctose

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 78 and haven't had time to get into the engine. The clutch cable is broke and has a gas leak in the petcock, so I haven't put gas in it yet. So my question is, is it possible to turn the engine over with the starter and have the kick start pretty much stuck in the 12 o'clock position. I haven't removed the spark plugs and turned over to check for compression yet either. Haven't had time and the more I think about it the more stressed I get

Thanks

I wouldn't try using the starter until I made sure the engine is free and not seized up. Pull the plugs and put the bike in gear. Then see if turning the rear wheel will spin the motor.

The guy I bought it from turned it over with the starter when I was looking it over. I tried to kick it after the fact. He said he never tried to kick start and that it was running.

Don't think that's an issue, and seller pretty much proved it, right?
If he cranked it over with the starter stuck at 12 O:clock and no funny noises, you should be good.
But going into the kick start isn't horrible, there some detailed threads. Do read them cuz there are a few things to watch for removing the big cover. Try this; Remove the spark plugs. Put the bike in gear and roll it forward a time or two, see if that "fixes" the kick starter.

Don't think that's an issue, and seller pretty much proved it, right?
If he cranked it over with the starter stuck at 12 O:clock and no funny noises, you should be good.
But going into the kick start isn't horrible, there some detailed threads. Do read them cuz there are a few things to watch for removing the big cover. Try this; Remove the spark plugs. Put the bike in gear and roll it forward a time or two, see if that "fixes" the kick starter.
Thanks... good idea

Back