Kowalski Revisited: The Mayor and The Blenheim Bridge

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score

The Covered Bridge of Blenheim, NY, was the longest single span wooden bridge in the world. The bridge was built in 1855 by Nichols Powers of Vermont. He designed a bridge of three trusses with huge pine timber posts, braces and counter braces bolted together. The center truss was higher than the two outside ones, and in this center truss he enclosed a single arch of oak which reaches from below the lower chord on up to the ridgepole at the peak of the roof . It was really three concentric arches, one on top of another. The covered portion of the bridge was 232 feet long, the trusses 228 feet and the clear span of 210 feet between abutments. It was one of only six covered bridges with two lanes. The bridge width was 26 feet.

1200px-BlenheimBridge_HAER_cropped.jpg

blen98_5_2.jpg

39272314.jpg

39200707.jpg

In 2011, Tropical Storm Irene created flood waters in the Schoharie Creek, and sent them crashing into the bridge,

BRIDGE-4-jumbo.jpg

scattering its timbers downstream for miles. Stephen Kowalski, "The Mayor of North Blenheim", told me that the flood waters also obliterated his home on the Creek's bank, and that he is one of the people who have been dedicated to The Rebirth of The Bridge.

Five days since I last talked to him, I am still trying to confirm The Mayor's actual involvement with the bridge, but this much I can tell you....

I drove by Kowalski's garage in North Blenheim this past Sunday, knowing he was closed. But I saw the door to his office ajar, and doubled back. Sticking my nose in, I saw him lighting up a Marlboro. "I'm closed," he said, bluntly. Everything Kowalski said was stated bluntly, to the point. "but C'mon in."

The Mayor (he insists on being addressed this way) ushered me into the bay area, where he had set up a socializing table and chairs; not much room for cars. "I don't do much work, anymore."

006.JPG

Kowalski said that he cherishes the mish-mash of odd and ends that adorned the garage, and this photo of a Grand Ballroom is a favorite:

009.JPG

He stated that he found it in a dumpster; clearly , we have something in common.

There were seeming contradictions, a "last known picture" of Jim Morrison,

003.JPG

...and Nixon with Tricia:

004.JPG

He explained that Nixon ended the draft, saving his ass from a bullet in Vietnam. We have another thing in common.

Another cigarette later, Kowaski noted with pride that he is also a Justice Of The Peace, so he occasionally weds couples, sometimes right there in his garage. That's him on the right, presiding.

001.JPG

Glancing out the window, I noticed a massive wood timber project going on. It was The Bridge.

011.JPG

Kowalski explained that, after a great deal of controversy, the Blenheim Covered Bridge is being reborn at a cost of $5.8 million, and that his involvement has been crucial.

Upcoming soon: the rebuild project.

Last edited:
where does the personal invasion of the mans privacy and the need for a good story overlap...........does he know your bearing his sole on here??

nothing wrong with his involvement in the story of the bridge..........i question how deep into him and his private life needs to be opened up here

where does the personal invasion of the mans privacy and the need for a good story overlap...........does he know your bearing his sole on here??

nothing wrong with his involvement in the story of the bridge..........i question how deep into him and his private life needs to be opened up here
This is being written with his full knowledge/permission/collaboration. He is likely reading this right along with us. Every photo subject taken with his permission.
I've even kept him informed of the view count, and the worldwide audience, including Australia.

Last edited:
You live in a cool area Dude - so many interesting folks and scenes!

Pete

Isn't that the truth? That is some of the most beautiful country around there. Sooo different than the arid openness of the desert that I live in. All those curvy, hilly, tree lined roads and quaint small towns. All those....deer! :eek:
It really is pretty.

Last edited:
This is being written with his full knowledge/permission/collaboration. He is likely reading this right along with us. Every photo subject taken with his permission.
I've even kept him informed of the view count, and the worldwide audience, including Australia.

It is a great story, i love history and i know how much commitment it takes to get something like this going...............When i read this there was some information that made me feel like a voyeur and it felt intruding..............this information has been removed.

"Bearing his sole," Skull? Where did you get that? I've read the post twice and couldn't find a word about Dude running off with the man's shoe!

Dude, thanks for a good read.

The information i was referring to has been removed.........Dude is doing a good story that should be told...........

Good thread Dude. Talkin' bout my g-g-g-generation........
Yeah, the draft. They were doing the lottery for my age group back then. Pulled a high number and never was called, might not have passed the physical due to a ruptured eardrum that any new to me Dr. that looks in me ear points out. "Huh? Oh that. Yeah, popped at the movies while watching Von Ryan's Express."

Lately I've been wonderin' what Steven Kowalski is up to these days. Is the Asshole's Garage even open ?

005.5cropsmall.jpg
Blenheim 003smallcrop.jpg

Is the head still there?

Blenheim 002.75Head.small.jpg
............and how about the bear?.. 006.5smallbear.jpg

Haven't taken a ride to the Catskills in months.
The last time I was in Middleburg, I think in October, I did spot this curious sign:

002.JPG

..............hmmmm....got to find out if he won the election.
If so, did he cut his hair?
.....so many questions that need answering.
.http://www.xs650.com/threads/kowalski.50092/

Last edited:
Back