Large Spine Frame XS650 / Egli / Rau / Cafe Racer

Most clutch parts received:
899 Ducati clutch master cylinder, Aprilia slave cylinder, Misc Ducati braided steel line from the garage, 8mm Stainless Rod (Mcmaster).
IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

All mounted up, held for clutch reservoir. 8mm shaft, I measured 296.34mm. And after rounding one end, 296.34mm.
Only one problem... The Slave cylinder and the Aprilia mate that stops the piston (part of the original Aprilia set up...) When assembled, there is only about .5mm / .020" inch for piston travel. I don't get it. How does this thing work?

Rear set shift linkage for the R6 seems to work great, except - it's GP/Reverse shift pattern. Good enough for now.
IMG_0044.JPG
Time for some outside photos:
IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0068.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0072.JPG

The reservoir came after these pics were taken. So I eagerly bled the system, get a good firm clutch, and nothing moves.
I don't get it. The Aprilia slave and the "retaining cup" - only give .5mm travel (.020"). What?!!

Last edited:
Ok, I made a mistake, checked the piston travel this morning, my initial start point for piston travel was off. The piston can compress in to the slave cylinder another 9-10mm... Time to make a new rod...

3 or 9 is my vote on the paint. I like the way the red and blue pop. The copper looking orange I feel is a more contemporary look.

Time to send the tank and fender off for paint. But, before that I really should check it one more time to see if it leaks or not.
So - after making some temporary fuel lines to check routing, etc, fuel in tank... (No Leaks!) I was just too close to not try and start the engine.
Exhaust (Slip-on) strapped on with Bungy cords and after a few cranks - the engine started up without drama. It sounded so sweet with that Lossa 18" pipe on it. Rode it around the block, 1st, second gear. No problems. So far - I'm very pleased.

(Some pics, less the bungy.)
01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg
I will need to place some springs and other mounting tabs yet.

The little Tabs for the springs - best price I could find was $2.95 each. I need ~10, $29.50.
McMaster, I ordered 3 feet of 0.125" 304 SS Rod, $6.42.
Tabs are done.
04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg

Next week - tank goes off to the painter.

Ford Mustang Magnetic J7 (Dark Grey).
Here are some pics while applying the graphics today.
A little laser...
1 a little laser IMG_0779.JPG
A little tape... The tape worked really good. Laser helped to identify the starting point.
2 a little tape IMG_0785.JPG
A little squeegee
3 a little water and squeegee IMG_0788.JPG
and graphics are laid.
4 Next step - clear coat IMG_0804.JPG
This took 2hrs. Good thing I had extra graphics with me. Scrapped one set of stripes in the process.
(I'm working with a very talented painter with steady hands.) :thumbsup:

Next is the clearcoat.

Last edited:
Great color choice. I saw this on a Mustang and said I would paint my next M/C that color.:thumbsup:
It looks like it won't be long before....noise:)

Thanks! With some luck, get those painted parts back on the bike this weekend, along with "final" fuel lines/configuration. Maybe another week or two for the exhaust...

Back