Later 6 plate clutch - Spring plate orientation

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've made a rookie mistake.
I took a late 6 plate clutch apart and didnt take any notice which way the spring plate goes.
I have attached a picture of the plate in question - its the one under the steel plate that is retained by the wire - Part number 7 in the picture.
It is "dished" so that it acts like a spring.
Could somebody look at theirs and tell me if the dish is up or down i.e. concave or convex as you look at it from the front of the clutch.

clutch picture.jpg

Regards - Ray.

Sorry; the late (J - K) factory manual completely ignores those parts (6-9) in the assembly instructions. :confused:

Thinking out loud here Without actual Knowledge
no 7 can be turned two ways 180 degrees apart

Cant you spot
One of these makes more sense in load carrying
Pictures perhaps ?

G/day Ray
Concave, mate. Part no.6 is the lipped spacer that goes on first then the spring disk. You should see a mark where the inner diameter of the spring disk contacts the inside shoulder (lip) of part 6. Part 6 is there to stop the spring disk (7) chewing up the aluminium. I measured the first steel plate, the one retained by the wire, at 1.5 mm thick. cheers.

Many thanks for the replies and help.
As per the advice, I could see a very faint witness mark on the bottom of the spring disc where it rubs on the outer diameter of the lipped disc - and your remark "concave" confirms that.
My 1st steel plate measued 1.6 mm.
Gary, Jan and Jonesey - Thanks again.
Regards - Ray.

1.6mm is the actual spec for that lower steel plate. All the other steels are speced at 1.4mm. That 1.6mm thick steel plate is actually the same one that is used in the '70-'73 clutches for all their steel plates.

Back