Leak, Re-Torque, Leaks Worse!

lidirtrider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ahh, the beauty of the XS. Fix one problem, create another.

So, among numerous other things, I had a minor leak from the base of the cylinder. I couldn't tell exactly where it was, but it appeared to coming from roughly under the cam chain adjuster cover. I scoured the board for info, and decided that I should try to re-torque all the cylinder and head bolts. Everything was going swimmingly, until I got to the number 12 bolt. Which I think is stripped. I didn't want to start pulling everything apart, and make things worse, so I moved on. I figure, when I eventually pull the motor, I can Heli-coil it, or worst case get a new head.

I torqued everything according to the sequence, and specs in both the Haynes and Clymer books. I put everything back together, took it for a ride, and parked back in the garage. After about a half hour, I noticed a new pool of oil on the floor. It always had a bit of a drip, maybe the size of a nickel, after a day or 2. Now, it's got a spot about 3 inches in diameter.

I wish I never fucked with it. I know I need to replace the gaskets, but I really didn't want to pull everything apart right now. Can I torque just the cylinder stud nuts a few pounds more, or will that screw up anything else?

Leaking head gaskets shouldn't cause a puddle like that. I think you have leaks elsewhere like from the cam chain adjuster cap/cover nut or some of the seals under the left side cover. The large seal that the electric start motor sticks into can be a big leaker too.

dont torque it down"just a little more".
Thats when you suddenly feel it give a little more, thenyou get sick to your stomach, cuase now youve got a stripped main head bolt.
check the other leak suspects as others mention, and go from there.
snugging up is not a good idea with aluminum.

Leaking head gaskets shouldn't cause a puddle like that. I think you have leaks elsewhere like from the cam chain adjuster cap/cover nut or some of the seals under the left side cover. The large seal that the electric start motor sticks into can be a big leaker too.

You're probably right. I can see just about where the leak comes from, and I just assumed it was the base gasket, it probably is coming from the timing chain adjuster cover. That would be a nice easy fix.

You're probably right. I can see just about where the leak comes from, and I just assumed it was the base gasket, it probably is coming from the timing chain adjuster cover. That would be a nice easy fix.

I recently had a situation where I thought I head a weeping head gasket, and re-torqued. That needed done anyway, but it didn't fix the problem. What did fix it was to replace the 6-bolt gasket under the timing chain adjuster cover, as well as the (in my case, cork) gasket for the dome nut. I'll bet that's your problem.

TC

I have two 650 Yamaha's with the same problem, head gasket leak, left side.
If I retorque the head bolts.
Is the proper procedure to remove one nut at a time apply antiseize to the thread apply a new washer and apply the correct torque? Also do you start with the #1 nut and then #2 and then #3 as in the tightening sequence?

U got to “sneak up” on it. Spin the nuts down, tighten a little more, always following the sequence, until its time to start looking for the “clic” of the torque wrench. 3 passes maybe? But u sure dont want to just throw one acorn nut on it, torque it down, then go to the next no..... you got to ease the head on. Dig?

Is the proper procedure to remove one nut at a time apply antiseize to the thread apply a new washer and apply the correct torque? Also do you start with the #1 nut and then #2 and then #3 as in the tightening sequence?
Yes. But there are those who say replace the washer, and others just as good who say leave it there. So I know what I'd do :) You may find it doesn't help the leak. I think the gaskets can compress and bake all they're going to compress and bake and then the gasket might as well be a sheet of tin flashing, Unfortunately you can't do more (like replace those gaskets) unless you take the engine out of the bike. Not hard, but at the same time is a major pain.

Back