Leaking gas- overflow nipple

XSBastard

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi again Guys:doh:

I got the bike up and running again, after installing a new float needle. I started to rev the bike in the garage and was just about to take the bike for a ride, when I noticed that that my bike sounded just fantastic:D...the inside of the exhaust was on the floor...unintentional straight pipe...yippy!

Took the bike for a run...and it was just awsome...sounded great, accelerated and was very responsive...but one problem...gas leaking from the bottom of the float bowls...from the nipples. This is a 1981 HS with BS34 carbs, pod filters and 2-1 exhaust. I have tubes attached to the nipples and bends them upwards in order to "catch" the gas insted of pooring to the ground. Has anyone had similar problems or think they know what would cause the leak? It leaks pretty bad.

Another thing I noticed was a hissing sound from the gas cap...and a swoosh sound when I open the cap. Could this be related to the gas leak? I have installed a new gas cap seal. My gas tank has two petcocks, but I really don't think they are vaccum operated. I will try running with the cap not fully closed to see what happens, thanks to an older post that I just found...just not comfortable running with a gas leak

As always...truly appreciate your feedback

The drains are sealed by a screw from the side, remove them and check the ends of the screws to see if they are smooth. While you have them out clean up the slot so you can put decent leverage on them with a properly sized screwdriver. Sounds like your gas cap vent is somewhat clogged, remove, clean, and reassemble.

what kind of needle did you install? ALOT of aftermarket needle are pure junk.. you can use your thumb nail to pop the rubber tip out, they are glued in and are not fitted like stock,stock has a barbed end to retain the rubber tip..

FYI , the stock float needles are always best unless they have pit holes or wear rings.. stock needle tips are viton and i have only seen 10-20 bad ones out of 1000, no kidding

Hey gggGary! I can not tell you how excited I am to have this bike up and running. I bought it dirt cheap as a no runner...I have already put alot of TLC into it, but managed to keep a very low budget. Just fantastic to be riding again.
I will check the screws. As I can recall the left one was dripping ever so slightly from the mentioned screw...could it really be that simple? I will also take the cap off and try to clean it up. Thanks again!!!

Hey oldskoolcarbs! I bought the needle from Mikesxs. I have read that some people have problems with these needles. Where can I find stock needles? Thanks!

Let me tell you guys, the bike is flying...and the noice...just heavenly...my ears are still ringing...feels sorry for my neighbours already....Ok, I will eventually fix it.
My bike has kick start only...what a PIA. To all oldschool guys who loves the "purness" of it...it is overrated. I almost blew out my knee twice today, burnt my leg due to slipping and also managed to put her down once in an effort to kick her over...all in one day...but what a day. Still grinding.

It's great to hear that another one has roared to life! Keep an eye on your oil level and smell it for gasoline till you are sure you have the carbs running right. Where you at?

i cannot comment on mike's needles,, never bought any..crappy float VALVE needles are the biggest "FAILURE OF CARB'S" THAT I BUY off eBay .. real shame a bike is left to sit outside beside a shop FOR 20 YEARS, dead, because a crappy float valve needle put "HER" DOWN.. DO THIS; pull one of THE NEEDLES YOU HAVE OUT,,if you can pop the the tip off WITH YOUR THUMB NAIL, throw them away and get a set of needles off Z1ENTERPRISES.COM..

Last edited:
It's great to hear that another one has roared to life! Keep an eye on your oil level and smell it for gasoline till you are sure you have the carbs running right. Where you at?

Thanks gggGary! Good advice...and I don't ignore a good one:wink2:
I am located in Las Vegas, and the weather is turning great for biking

I did look at the screw...sanded the tip down just a little, but it didn't stop the leak. Do you think I could plug up the nipple?

i cannot comment on mike's needles,, never bought any..crappy float VALVE needles are the biggest "FAILURE OF CARB'S" THAT I I BUY off eBay .. real shame a bike is left to sit outside beside a shop FOR 20 YEARS, dead, because a crappy float valve needle put "HER" DOWN.. DO THIS; pull one of THE NEEDLES YOU HAVE OUT,,if you can pop the the tip off WITH YOUR THUMB NAIL, throw them away and get a set of needles off Z1ENTERPRISES.COM..

Thanks for the info oldskoolcarb! I will ordere some, and then let you know the outcome.
The reason I ordered one from Mikesxs, was simply because I couldn't find them anywere else. When my carbs were first overflowing, the gas came out the right air pod, and entered the cylinder/crankcase. I figured out the problem, when the moving part of the needle/ on top was stuck...and yes, the rubber tip you are talking about came off when I tried to clean it. The new one seam to have helped, because it doesn't overflow into the air filter anymore.
You might be spot on about lousy aftermarket float needles. I did alot of searching about this issue, but nobody mentioned the bad needles being the cause.
I will keep you up to date.
Thanks again, oldskoolcarb....I have used your brain and like...now let me borrow your knees for the kickstart:thumbsup:

You guys are awsome!!!

There should also be an o-ring on that float bowl drain screw.

Thanks Rich!!!
Hey 5twins! I might have to look into the float bowl drain screw...and the o-ring. gggGary mentioned the screw as well, and I did take them out and reset them. But I screwed them in as hard as I could. By doing so, it looks like the nipples are not leaking. I took the bike out for a ride today and decided to fill up some gas, since the bike acted like it was running out of gas. After the fill up, the bike didn't start...almost as if no spark. I looked at the clear fuel pipes connected to the overflow nipples and there were no fuel/no leaks. Had no tools, so I called a towing company...they quoted me $140 for a 20min ride. I called another company and told them that I thought $140 was an outrage...they offered me a reduced rate $90...I hate to be had...so I ended up pushing my bike back home in the desert heat. How long was Adam in Paradise?

Did I make a poopoo by screwing the drain screw to hard? My brain tells me that by not allowing the overflowing fuel to "escape" out the nipples the overflowing might have taken another course and wet the spark plugs. After I finally made it home, I just had to get away from the bike. Came back a couple of hours later and loosend the drain screws a little...gas in the over flow nipple fuel lines/leaking again and then kick started her back up again.
I have installed an inline fuel filter and noticed some dirt...drained and filtered the "newly" added fuel...low and behold, dirty dirty, dirty. I will have to clean out the gas tank...again, and go through the carbs...again

I really would love to hear some of your guys stories, how you got stranded...just to make me feel better about my bike...

The screws and nipples on your bowl bottoms are not for overflow, they're just a drain for the bowl. How tight or loose they are shouldn't affect running, just whether or not gas leaks out of them.

I live on a hill. My "test rides are UP the hill now......... Pushed a KZ1300 up the hill after trying to roll start it a time or two, talk about a cardiac stress test!
Yeah dirty gas sounds like a good culprit, experience says a clean tank is a lot easier than pushing it home.

The screws and nipples on your bowl bottoms are not for overflow, they're just a drain for the bowl. How tight or loose they are shouldn't affect running, just whether or not gas leaks out of them.

Thanks 5twins! I am learning every day...the hard way:banghead:
I always thought the overflow nipple was to prevent gas from entering the cylinder/crankcase.

I took the tank off today... in the process of proper cleaning. I hope another round of gas tank and carb cleaning will solve the problem...just to find another problem I guess:laugh:
Can't wait to ride again:bike:

I live on a hill. My "test rides are UP the hill now......... Pushed a KZ1300 up the hill after trying to roll start it a time or two, talk about a cardiac stress test!
Yeah dirty gas sounds like a good culprit, experience says a clean tank is a lot easier than pushing it home.

gggGary...I truly appreciate your inputs...but you also share my pain...got to love that:thumbsup: Yesterday I was venting...I live on a hill as well, and yes, my test rides went uphill...but she was so much fun to ride, and even though my gut told me to wait for new parts/float needle...I had to take her for another ride. Keep in mind that the last time I owned a bike was 20 years ago...:yikes:
Keeping an eye on the oil level and smelling for gas...very good advice indeed. I just hope you didn't reqiure this knowledge the hard way:wink2:

Back