Leaky Cam End seal? Is this a hard job?

OdysseusXS

XS650 padawan
Reaction score
The two shots I've put up are the before and after shots taken while I had a closer look at an oil leak that has become more pronounced during hot (38 degrees C) weather. I don't have a manual yet, so I'm asking two probably stupid questions. 1) Is this a cam end seal? 2) Is this a hard part to change, it appears to be a simple process, but looks can be...

Lastly, is this a rubber part that can be bought reliably from MikesXS or not?

Cheers, OdysseusXS

Attachments

• first signs.jpg
    first signs.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 179
  • cam end seal.jpg
    cam end seal.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 177
One more thing that should be mentioned. Clean the end of the cam up really well once you take the housing off. They tend to rust up and that can contribute to making the old seal leak in the first place. Buff the end clean and shiny with a Scotchbrite pad. If you have a very minor leak, cleaning the cam shaft end in this manner can sometimes cure it without replacing the seal.

When you order your parts; behind the housing held on with the three screws, there's a big red (hi-temp) o-ring. It's probably ready to be replaced too. The three screws is a place a hand impact driver might come in handy, not to be confused with an impacting electric screwdriver.

Thanks guys, I'll be looking into sourcing the seals and the o-rings today. Guess I should replace both end seals as they come as a pair anyway? What do you guys mean by scotchbrite? is this the green nylon scrubbing pad made by 3M? I'll google to see what you are talking about. 5twins, are you referring to what we aussies refer to as stainless steel wool? Thanks again for your advice, I'll try to get a clymers manual today too. xjwmx, it's the later 80's xs models that have the o-ring behind the housing isn't it? Is sealing compound required as well, if so what do you use?

Cheers

Here is a how to with some pics.

O-rings and a gasket as well on the cam housing. RG has some pics in the thread i linked to

I think you are referring to the tappet covers, the later models have a grove for o-rings and the earlier use gaskets

Thanks Skull, this site is a treasure trove of advice and how-to's. I've wiped the inside of the cam cover/housing down and intend to take her for a short ride to determine how much of a leak I have before I start ripping into her. Will be checking out your how-to right now :)

If you've had the head off, make sure the cam is centered to the cam chain tunnel and that the cam bearings are set in as far as they are supposed to go.
I had a set that weren't pushed in as far as they were supposed to go, which led to a leak on that seal.....nooby move on my part.

Yes, the Scotchbrite is the green nylon scrubbing pad made by 3M. This is an old mechanic's tip I was given years ago and applies to any seal replacement on a shaft. The Scotchbrite pad will clean and smooth the surface but not remove any material. This gives the new seal a fresh surface to work against. Believe it or not, the rubber sealing lip on a seal can eventually start cutting a little groove in the shaft. This treatment will smooth that all out. Since applying this tip, I've had near 100% success replacing seals. Before that, it was hit and miss, lol.

Back