Lean Angle Anyone?

Brassneck

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Was reading up on threads at another forum I belong to and stumbled upon a little gadget that I thought was pretty cool...figured I'd share the info in case anyone is interested.

Basically, a local rider has developed a tool to measure the lean angle as you ride.
Here's the video demo:

Here's the forum link (Not sure if you need to be a member to read it):
http://pnwmoto.com/motorcycles/i-made-lean-angle-sensor-1771/#post21235

Pretty nifty, albeit not criitcal. :)

Certainly its interesting for its electronics and software etc. , but I see no value for it on a street bike. Perhaps pure racing bikes would be using a device like that as an analysis tool.

On the negative side, I suspect young riders with very large male egos, would use these as a measuring tool of the quality of their bravery, i.e. bragging rights, which could easily cause them to lose control in sharp corners.

There's also some newfangled smartphone apps that read and display values from the smartphone's newfangled internal orientation sensors.

I guess this would be gggGary's department, an opportunity to expand the utility of his SGS5 and smartphone mount...

Interesting, I know there are factors behind the lean angle of the 650 (rubber, model, suspension) does anyone actually know what the angle is before the pegs hit the ground. I've bent my sidestand up (the part you put your boot on to extend) because I was grinding the end off and was interested to know.......

On the negative side, I suspect young riders with very large male egos, would use these as a measuring tool of the quality of their bravery, i.e. bragging rights, which could easily cause them to lose control in sharp corners

I am not a young rider........and I guess my ego is pretty normal. ............But that having thing would probably cause me to mess with my comfort zone.

XStretchified

Certainly its interesting for its electronics and software etc. , but I see no value for it on a street bike. Perhaps pure racing bikes would be using a device like that as an analysis tool.

On the negative side, I suspect young riders with very large male egos, would use these as a measuring tool of the quality of their bravery, i.e. bragging rights, which could easily cause them to lose control in sharp corners.

I can very well see the negative side to using these measurements. Measurements cannot replace experience. If a rider needs to be reaching the limits of the machine......please do this on the track and not on the open road with the rest of us. Reaching the limits is just not the enjoyable part of the sport for me, honestly, I don't have any tolerance for those that ride on the edge of suicide.

Scott

Back