Lecturing relative getting on my last nerve

Max,
Application not required. Show up on your bike, take the last of the Eggs Benedict, French toast, sausage pattie, etc.and you're in...

Anyone who has been riding motorcycles for any length of time has run into somebody like this.
Last weekend I attended a little family birthday gathering for my mothers birthday. There is a distant inlaw of mine, who's orbit only intersects mine once every few years, who pulls this same routine every time I see him. I even told my wife before we got there that he would do this.
While sitting at a table in a restaurant with my family around me , he poses the question.
" Bob, you still got your motorcycle?" ( He damn well knows I do. ) I hold up two fingers and say "Two of them." No smile on my face because I know what's coming. Then he says " Oh...hmmm, I see."
He then try's his best to look sad and gives me the disappointed head shake.
View attachment 107418
He then reels off a couple stories of someone ( he knew personally of course! ) that got killed or maimed while riding a motorcycle. This guy is a retired airline captain and the family just thinks he's the smartest most wonderful guy. And I always bite my toungue and just let it pass, not wishing to cause an argument or make a scene. I have tried to explain that I am a careful rider and wear protective gear, but it doesn't deter him. He then turns his attention to my wife and says "Do you ride with him?" She says yes. And a new round of disappointed head shaking begins.
I told my wife afterword that I'm always tempted to ask him if he has heard about the thousands of people that have plunged to a fiery death aboard commercial airlines jets?
But I'm REALLY trying to be the better person. :mad:

No kidding, my response would be along the lines of, "Why don't you just *^*%&% off?"

I think the best comment I ever got was in El Paso Texas. I was wearing a 1 piece suit, race boots, gauntlets etc. filling up the ducati I had. A guy wearing tank top, shorts and flips flops told me " You're going to die on that thing." He then rode off on a scooter with no helmet. I had to sit there for a second because the stupidity stunned me.

Back