LED compatible flasher

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I am switching to LED turn signals. I went to Advance Auto Parts and purchased a LF-12 Electronic Flasher Unit which claims to have a variable load (i.e. no current minimum). It is a two pronged device which I connected to the brown and Brown/White wires where the old 3 pronged device went.

Unfortunately, the signals won't flash. They will light up, however. When I switch one of the signals on a given side with the old incandescent bulb that specific side will flash. Does this mean it is a load problem and the LF-12 actually does have a minimum current? Any idea what that minimum is.

I dont want to spend more money on this. Could I hook up a load resistor to get more current draw? Where would I put it?

Adam

So then I can simply put a resistor in parallel with the signal? One end of the resistor on the + side and the other resistor on the - side?

Adam

If I remember correctly ya actually bridge the resistor across the 2 wires that go to each bulb I have one made up. Ill have to take pix 12 volt 5 watt should do it
it is soldered to the red and to the black it then give more resistance which makes the flashes think its a more powerful bulb
full

Thanks Carbon.

What you suggested should indeed work, however, the explanation is different. By putting a resistor in parallel with the bulb it lowers the combined resistance. The reason is because putting two resistors in paralell always creates an effectve resistance which is less than either of the two resistances. By having a lower effective resistance it allows for my current.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam, YW Sir. I will admit that electrical is my weak suit. I rarely chime in when it is an electrical problem. I am going to be putting leds on my build that I'm working on. I had looked at the resistor at that time when I bought my led blinker lights :D

Hey everyone,

I purchased this flasher:
http://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Signal-Flasher-Switch-Electronic/dp/B004O1YTLW

per the suggestion of Phail.

With everything wired up the turn signals light up, however, the flasher makes a very loud very quick buzzing sound. It almost sounds like a relay is flashing on and off incredibly quickly to give a seemingly constant note.

I have the flasher hooked up correctly I believe with the wire going directly to the negative terminal of the battery.

Any ideas?

Here is a diagram of how it is wired up. This wiring has been done on my bench, with a 12 volt power supply.

I have the (+) terminal of my power supply connected to the 'X' terminal on the flasher. The (-) terminal of the power supply connected to both the grounding wire on the flasher and the groudning wire on the bulb while the hot wire on the bulb is connected to the 'L' terminal on the flasher.

The diagram is here:
http://imgur.com/x37yg

Adam

My bike is in mid tear down so all my wiring is on the floor. I'll hook it up to a battery and snap some photos of it working. Probably tomorrow around noon. Have to go to my 2nd job now.

Back