MadHatch

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I installed this LED strip tail light LINK on my 1977 XS650 and have been having trouble with the turn signals not flashing, despite buying and trying both recommended LED Flasher relays (1. LINK 2. LINK)

I can't quite figure out why I'm not getting any flash. Each turn signal stays on steady, with no flash.

Am I using the incorrect flasher relays, or do I need to install a diode?

I haven't installed front turn signals yet, but plan to install these after I sort out this flashing problem. Link

-M

It could be just the rear lights don't have enough load for the flasher. Temp in the fronts and see if that helps. I put turn signals on my 650 recently. At first I had just the rears. They flashed OK. Added fronts still no problem.The flasher I used is this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073J82PNF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
upload_2019-7-21_14-47-20.png

Thanks GLJ.

I went ahead and put an order for this, to give it a try.

I also temped the front, and still have the same issue. Steady but no flash on front and back.

Eager to try the flasher on the way and see if that makes a difference

On mine the red from the flasher went to brown and the black from the flasher went to brown/white. Mines a 72 your 77 could be different. What are your wire colors going to your flasher?

I have a feeling you'll need to cap off the yellow. It goes to a flasher canceling unit. I am not familiar with those. Someone who is hopefully will chime in.

Got the part in, and plugged in red from the flasher to brown and the black from the flasher to brown/white.

However still no flash, just steady. :(

I now have temp plugged in two led turn signals up front, and have two LED turn signals in the back, now the strip LED is only my brake.

However, still no flash. With any of the flasher relays that I've accumulated.

I plugged my probe 3 into the brown wire, and got a ground reaction from the probe. I then plugged into the b/w and got another ground reaction from the probe. I then plugged into the y/g wire and have no response (this runs to the canceler unit).

Should I be getting these results when probing? When i bought the bike it had no turn signals, so maybe something isn't wired right for the flasher relays to work properly. idk taking wild guesses now.

Again, I just get a steady turn signal with no flash.

Either you have a major wiring SNAFU or it has to do with the self canceling module. Try unplugging the self canceling module. As I said hopefully someone with experience with your bikes turn signals will help out.

Try isolating the led strip and flasher unit from the rest of the bike. Wire up those components directly to a battery (or 12 volt ac/dc adapter) to see if they work.

Just wired up directly the battery.

And the turn signal flashed!

Now I need to sort out where the problem is along the way.

Thanks Peterg!

Hello all,

Still a bit lost in trying to sort out why my LED flasher relay isn't causing my lights to flash. I directly wired both my flasher relay, and my turn signal to the battery, and it flashed for the first time. So the flasher and the turn signals work. Which leads me to believe it's either a wiring issue, or a fuse, or a resistance issue.

When everything goes back in their place and is wired up, my LED turn signals light up steady, but don't flash.

I have a 1977 XS650D with electronic points and advance. However everything else is stock.

There are 3 wires running to my flasher unit. Yellow/Green, Brown/White, Brown. My yellow/green runs to my flasher canceler unit, and while Power Probing my brown and brown/white wires, both light up as "ground"...

Is this the issue? That I'm not receiving power to my flasher unit? Or would it be a resistance issue? Listing my Flasher units (I have three that I'm trying) and turn signal links below:

1. Flasher 1 : LINK
  2. Flasher 2 : LINK
  3. Flasher 3 : LINK
  4. Turn Signals : LINK

Back