LED headlight conversion.

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So like I'm thinking I'm like gonna put an LED headlight on like my bike. So like cause It's like all modern and stuff how do I like make it work with the old stuff? I will be rewiring the entire thing so it's all open for what ever. The light came with a CABUS already, but... what about the rest?

Hi Gcraay,
It's like cooking, anyone can do it, the instructions are plainly written on the cans and packets.
Didn't your LED headlight have an instruction leaflet in it's packing box?
& WTF is a CABUS?

I have a plan for an LED vendors sell a 7" shell that takes H4 bulbs for about $25 then A broview H4 LED about $28 the reflector shell looks a bit deep for hte XS headlight can, may need to use a deeper headlight can anyone got an XS1100 headlight laying around? they are already H4 and IIRC it's deeper also.

anyone got an XS1100 headlight laying around? they are already H4 and IIRC it's deeper also

Hi Gary,
I dunno about the XS11 headlamp shells being deeper.
Either my XS11 Special has an XS650 Special headlamp shell (a possibility as I bought it very used)
or my XS650 Heritage Special has an XS11 Special headlamp shell (not likely as I bought the bike new)
or the headlamp shells are identical. Perhaps the XS1100 Standard headlamp shell is deeper?
FWIW MikesXS catalog offers a British style headlamp shell that looks to be real deep.

Hi Gary,
I dunno about the XS11 headlamp shells being deeper.
Either my XS11 Special has an XS650 Special headlamp shell (a possibility as I bought it very used)
or my XS650 Heritage Special has an XS11 Special headlamp shell (not likely as I bought the bike new)
or the headlamp shells are identical. Perhaps the XS1100 Standard headlamp shell is deeper?
FWIW MikesXS catalog offers a British style headlamp shell that looks to be real deep.
Yeah I did some fleabay'n and I think you are right Fred; there are some H4 yammy headlights but they didn't seem to be XS11, it's kind of all over the board some are sealed some H4 there's a couple aftermarket complete HL's that are H4 That broview S5 uses copper braid for cooling instead of a fan so is more flexable for fitting in a shell but they are a bit deeper and have a smallish power module. It's possible with a stock shell that a clearance hole would have to be made in the back. I converted a roayal star that uses a single 7" shell and it was night and day better than the stock bulb put 6K miles on that bulb so far I just did an FJR with 2 bulbs but haven't run that at night yet.

I had thought about this conversion also but had come to the conclusion that the headlight shell was just too shallow and the led bulbs are pretty bulky. If anybody gets this going, I'd love to see a write up WITH photos.
Hmmm maybe we could get 2M going on it, he would probably have 3 different prototypes configured in a few weeks!

Gary, I've seen that led headlight that has the copper braid, have you used that before? I worry about heat dissapation. Most of the led conversions I have seen were done on modern motorcycles that have bodywork and the backside of the headlamp bulb is exposed to open air. How do you thing they would do enclosed in a compact , non ventilated space?

6K miles on the RSV, headlight is pretty well buried in the fairing on that bike. I'm wanting to try it on an XS.

Hi Gcraay,
It's like cooking, anyone can do it, the instructions are plainly written on the cans and packets.
Didn't your LED headlight have an instruction leaflet in it's packing box?
& WTF is a CABUS?
Sorry CAMBUS and no instructions it is a direct fit product I want to make work. Otherwise it's not fun.

I had thought about this conversion also but had come to the conclusion that the headlight shell was just too shallow and the led bulbs are pretty bulky. If anybody gets this going, I'd love to see a write up WITH photos.
Hmmm maybe we could get 2M going on it, he would probably have 3 different prototypes configured in a few weeks!
First thing is, I'm ditching the pan and free mounting it with a bracket I'm gonna make. Gonna drill and tap the cooling fins. Some come with this already done.

Back