left cylinder not pulling gas in

jgmillican

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 75 XS650B. It's been in the shed for 15 yrs. Got it out a couple weeks ago and started to tinker with it. With a fresh battery installed, I pulled the plugs and checked for fire. Much to my surprise, both plugs were firing. I shot a little starting fluid in the carbs, and it fired up. I pulled both carbs off for a good cleaning, not to bad, just a little varnish. Shot B-12 through all jets, ports, and everything was open and looking good. When I put them back on it would crank up, but the left cylinder is not pulling gas in. I can place a couple fingers over the throat opening and the left cylinder will start hitting. When I remove them it goes back to running on the right cylinder. Any ideas?

Yup do the carb again. Have you been through the carb guide? there are several "tricky" places that need to be confirmed clear. Gas tank drained, all rust removed? New fuel lines? Petcocks R&Red? check for air leaks or mis-installed gasket at the intake.

Yup do the carb again. Have you been through the carb guide? there are several "tricky" places that need to be confirmed clear. Gas tank drained, all rust removed? New fuel lines? Petcocks R&Red? check for air leaks or mis-installed gasket at the intake.

New manifold gaskets. Sprayed carb cleaner around carbs while running, and no indication of a air leak. Used carb guide twice. Carb gaskets are a little puffy in places. I think it could be sucking air inside the carb. Just ordered kits from MikesXS.

Back