Left Hand Engine Covers

70-71 are by themselves

Yamaha moved the location of one of the lower bolt holes.
72-75 interchange. Verification needed.
76 on all interchange, will also fit the 72-75 but leave a gap at the back corner.

This is 70-71 and 76 on compared,

sidecovers 006.jpg

sidecovers 007.jpg

sidecovers 008.jpg

Last edited:
There was a major change to the engine case and side cover where they meet in front of the chain guard area. The square edged one of off a 74, (second pic), and the round edge is of an 80, (first pic).

These jpeg pics from the biker.net fish files, show the part number for the cases on the

First pic has the TXA/XSB part no in brackets, It is the file for A/B/C and the second pic is from the D

The third pic is from the XS1/1b/2 and TX file.

XS1/1B has the left case no as ......256-15411-09-00

XS2/TX left case cover no as ........306-15411-04-00

Correction....Parts file have the 74/75,, (some have the 76 included as well), as the same part no. Seems to be wrong. 75B the cases and Side-cover changed

TX650A ..............306-15411-04-00.......

XS650C and later models was ........584-15411-00-00

The cases changed with the 72XS2 to the TX74XA then again from the 75B till the end of production, ...........

NOTE; Biker.net parts files. Seem to be wrong.
This is from various information from visual pics and Engine no's Since this thread/post was posted 5 years ago in 2013..........It is now 2018.

Updated thread about 75B left side engine side-cover
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oiler-hole-in-sprocket-side-case-cover.52932/#post-562376

Attachments

• DSCF7619.JPG
    DSCF7619.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF7621.JPG
    DSCF7621.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 367
  • XS650 Crankcase cover Left XS650D.jpg
    XS650 Crankcase cover Left XS650D.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 647
  • XS650 Crankcase cover Left TX650A-XS650B.jpg
    XS650 Crankcase cover Left TX650A-XS650B.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 569
  • XS1-1B-2  and TX.jpg
    XS1-1B-2 and TX.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
My research from Biker.net parts files. Above.

According to the files, engine cases from the 72XS2/ 73TX-74TXA-75XSB are the only ones to fit the 447-XS650B engine.

Later ones will fit but you end up with a gap where the cover edge is curved

Last edited:
Yeah I tried one of the later covers on a 75 crankcase to see. It goes on with no problem. I have a lot of covers but none of the 74-75 that I found. I'm guessing the change was to help reduce crankcase cracking when the chain overrides the sprocket teeth.

Viewed from above it shows up.
sidecover 001.jpg

From a more typical viewing angle it's not that noticeable.

sidecover 003.jpg

The info I posted above was from partzilla.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/parts.html

The Yamaha (Star Motorcycles) site shows the same stuff I had above and I have found similar errors on those pages before, those seem to be where many online dealers get their info, cause the dealer pics and parts always seem to match the Star site info.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=star#/Yamaha/TX650_-_1973/CRANKCASE_COVER_(LEFT)/TX650_(1973_MOTORCYCLE)/CRANKCASE_COVER_(LEFT)_(TX650_-_1973)

The `70-`71 covers had a lower screw hole under the sprocket that was moved a little forward to under the clutch worm when the `72 XS2 with the electric start appeared.

Attachments

• 70-73_case_cover.pdf
    52.9 KB · Views: 277
I changed my post too. I "think" we are getting close now. It sucks when a guy goes and checks the parts diagrams year by year and they lie.
I gotta go look at skulls source too.

Wow, you guyz are fast! Yeah, the `70/71 to `72 (XS1/XS1B to XS2) (256 to 306) transition has been the bane of my existance, so many changes, almost like 2 different bikes. This forum and y'alls threads really helped me out with this. Many thanx....

2many, could you help me out. Yamaha shaved 1.2mm off the top of the pistons half way through the XS1B's to drop the compression ratio from 8.7:1 to 8.1:1 and that makes sense, but between 72 and 80 the compression went up to 8.3:1, 8.4:1, 8.5:1 then back up to 8.7:1.

So the question is how did they do it? change the volume of the piston? And how does it relate to the jetting of the carbs allowing for the change in compression ratios?

Skull, the early bikes had a notorious 'spit-pop-stop' feature at idle. Then customer complaints about vibration. Then underpowered electric starter issues (supplanted with that compression release), input from the racing community, changeover to the '447' geometries and cam profile, fuel quality/availability after the 'nam pullout, EPA reg implementations, ...etc.

That first service/parts news bulletin gives a minimal explaination. With all the above going on during the first few years of the bikes evolution, I'm quite sure there were marketing/engineering decisions occurring that we may never know about unless some factory insider spills the beans. Just keeping up with Honda, AMF/Harly, and the turmoil at Triumph, was enough to make your head explode.

The whole industry (from where I was sitting) went through a turndown in `77, and marketing philosophies changed. The business was fun, everybody was buying bikes (because of the gas crisis), then it turned-down and shops had to tighten their belts, the beancounters ran the show, and the factories pursued advanced technology to establish dominance. In my mind's eye, `68-`76 was a unique era in motorcycles.

Well, that's just rambling about the 'why', but your question was about the 'how'.

I didn't work for Yamaha during then. Don't have inside info on that except for those early service/parts bulletins. I'm sure the '447' rod/piston changeover gave an opportunity to change c.r., but after that I'd have to guess. If not a piston change, there's the head volumes and gasket thicknesses. Jack would be the goto guy here. Wish I could be more help.

I left the business in `78, moved on to the next great thing - computers. Clueless about bikes after that.

How does it relate to carb jetting? Hoo-boy, now there's a book.

The carbs primary purpose is to deliver that ideal stoichometric (well, actually just a tad richer). They have to do this according to the personality of the inlet pulses, and the restrictions of the airbox/filter. Any change to the engine or filtration that alters that flow personality requires rejet (or worse, different carbs). That inlet flow personality is different at low rpms and high rpms, and each component involved in flow has a unique influence in each range. CR has a minor influence compared to port/valve design, cam profile, exhaust, fuel quality, and air filtration. Add to that the increasing demands of the EPA regs (including new fuel blends and reid vapor pressures), and you'll find that the jetting probably has very little to do with CR. Jetting is the result of the whole package for that model year, complying with EPA regs and import restrictions.

We should start a thread on this!
I wonder about the compression figures, advertising or fact?

Current herd
2) 70 complete 1 is rough/frozen other is a period "reversible chooper" spare 70 engine
1) 71 on the lift, should be a runner soon 1) 71 building up from parts
1) 72 complete project, tins at the painters
2) 73 complete 1 is running well.
1) 78 standard, holed piston, complete
1) 79 standard, really nice runner til the crank twisted this fall, damn
1) 79 special, 750 kit, lots of performance mods just started dreaded bottom end whine.
1) 81 special complete, Wisconsin title on the way! (took 3 years)
1) 76? PO's tracker project of questionable taste/skill
1) chromoly ice racer chassis with titled donor frame.
All the above are titled!
about 8 extra engines.
the (somewhat sorted) huge parts hoard.
How did this all happen to me?

the early bikes had a notorious 'spit-pop-stop' feature at idle.

Wonder if that includes the 73s? My 73 did exactly that to me this morning. It has been a very nice no issues runner since early April then acted a bit uppity this morning, a 20 mile ride and all was hunky dory again.

Back