Left switch gear, which headlight wires for barebones loom?

highboy_coupe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,
I have consulted various wiring diagrams, and I have got this kind of wrong once, so now I consult the oracles....

I have a greatly reduced wiring loom, no 80's safety stuff left, no starter relay etc.

Am I right that for the headlights switches I only need yellow/blue in (originally from headlight safety but now connected to blue/black at the old plug location) which is then switched to yellow for hi beam and green for low beam?
It looks to me like the second set of connections inside the hi/lo switch were to do with the headlight reserve device.
Before I go chopping up all my loom tape to get at the wired it would be nice to get a second, or third opinions.
Thanks

Last edited:
That looks right. Before you do any cutting make sure you have power on the blue/yellow. I don't remember the details of the RLU removal mod, but your problem might be there. After I did the RLU mod I put in a headlight on/off switch by just making and breaking the blue/yellow. That means power comes in on it and then gets distributed to hi or lo by the switch. What was the problem you had the first time?

http://www.xs650.com/threads/good-headlight-mod-for-special.50722/

Thanks for this.
Basically I had everything working after removing the rlu and safety relay, I added my own single relay to retain the headlight on with engine function.
I had used a jumper in the rlu plug and all was well.
I am in the process of converting to a street tracker look and it was a chance to trim alot of the loom down, I misread the wiring diagram and wrote down that black/yellow to the switch was the power for switching the headlight. Made the loom and of course there is no power on black/yellow, I am not sure how I thought that was it, it feeds back in FROM the headlight itself!

Back