Legendary Bugeye Cafe - ABS - Review

Rlauchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I searched the threads to the best of my ability and wasn't able to find specific reviews on the ABS plastic legendary bugeye cafe seat the legendary motorcycles and mikes sells. So...I bought it and the mounting kit to give it a try. Now, remember...I'm quick to say that I am new at this...and anything regarding fabricating, etc. is currently out of my realm of comfort.

I opened the box and well...it's plastic :). It's cheap looking, but I figured what the hell...with some paint and when it's mounted, would you really know?

Now, I have a 1981, SH and the site only says: "THE PERFECT SEAT FOR YOUR RETRO CAFE PROJECT OR RACE BIKE." I guess that means just that...if you are doing a project with a lot of work!

The rear loop hits where the tail light goes if you want the front of the seat to come anywhere close to the tank. So, you will have to remove the loop. I don't want to remove the loop right now, as I need to figure out what that means for the stock tail lights that I'm running.

The mounting kit. WOW...talk about adjustments. You have to cut the plastic blocks multiple times both to adjust the height as well as any 'hangers' over the side. Also, if you are running stock air filters and other stock parts around the battery area...the blocks don't fit without some major jiggering.

BOTTOM LINE IMHO: The sites need to do a better job explaining what it takes to put this on the bikes. Posting the instructions might be a good start. Maybe the assumption is that folks buying from the site just simply know what they are doing.

Your thoughts are welcomed as perhaps I'm just missing something and I hate to put a bad review on something that I simply don't get.

Most of the cafe seats are used without the stock loop. It is usually cut off and replaced with a flat loop that follows the seat edge.

I have seen a how-to about this seat mounting kit and it shows that the blocking has to be fitted. They did that to make it universal to other bikes. I thought it was an okay kit but it did seem like a lot of work compared to other mounts I have seen.

I don't remember where I saw the instructions. Maybe DTT. I do think they should include them, or at least give a link to them.

Let see the turn out.

Back