Lesters Swing Arm bobber, Brat type build thread

Lester

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Its time for me to finally start a build thread. I had huge plans on building a hard tail bobber but the wife all of a sudden said she wanted a bobber too, I told her all about these cool swingarm bobbers... thinking it would be easier to build and better for her to ride. Well I stated looking at the different kits on the market and all the diferent build and I really started likeing them and decided to go that rout my self.... so here is the deal.... I'm planing on building two of these Brat Style swing arm bobber bikes this winter.... pretty ambisious time wise and especially being on a family of 5 budget so I cann't go nuts shopping and time is an issue. I cann't waste persious shop time side tracking and reading the shop manual... I need to be prepared. I'm new to XS650s so I hope you guys can help out when I ask all the stupid questions that are obvious to the seasoned XS addict.

The bikes....

full

My bike is an 1980 US Custom in pretty good shape, picked it up at a fair price as i had a malfunction starter and a starter seal oil leak as well. I fixed the leak and rode it kick only all summer and it performed well, started easy and no major issues... have also got a replacement starter since then so I will sort that bit out

full

The wifes bike was a barn find also a 1980 US Custom.... it has been sitting in a barn with a new overhauled engine that wouldn't start after overhauling since 1994. So a few more issues with the engine but all new inners to work with. Drive train and brakes looks like its seen better days too.

To be able to work on two bikes in my garage at the same time I figued I needed to be able to move them arond in any state they are in. ALSO I'm stating to grow gray hair and at this stage in life I am not enjoying building bikes on my knees any more so a work table was the first thing to be perpared.... 2x4 and salvaged counter tops. I fitted hard plastic wheels to one end and removable handels to the other so I can "wheel barrel" the table around as needed. It works well but I have to put my back into it.

full

full

My side kick giving me a hand.

full

wifes bike

full

my bike

table mounted, straped down and tear down has started.

Lester,
I am Subscribed

I was reading through one of your earlier threads about what brat kit to buy (Monster or Visual Impact) and I want to know what you decided?

I am leaning towards Monster for mine, if I don't go off in a total other direction.

Jim in Minnesota

p.s. where are the pics?

Last edited:
Good to hear Jim, are there NO PICTURES SHOWING UP?????
There should be 6 pictures in the first post... they are showing up on my screen, anybody else not see them? ? ?
I'm new to posting pictures the fancy way... sorry guys.

Jim, I had to sort out some more pictures to answer your question properly.....

Here is what I ended up ordering:

full

Its a DIY MonsterCraftman Brat Kit. I mailed and spoke with Jon about his Brat Kit on several occasions and he was very helpful and agreed to help me out with a DYI Brat Kit even though he had several kits welded and ready to go. Jon is A1 to deal with and is genuinely interrested in his customer's satisfaction. Being the first Kit to go to Norway he sent along a complimentary Monster Tee as well... Thanks Jon! Worn with pride.

My Kit was order with out the seat pan as I would like to try out a different seat configuration. I hope it works out.... :eek:
The tubing is real heavy duty so my wish to give it some extra bends is scratched from the list.... F@&%!
The tubing will be takeing on alot of axial force from the shocks so its a good thing they are heavy duty.
Looking forward to getting this project rolling. :D

Good to hear Jim, are there NO PICTURES SHOWING UP?????
There should be 6 pictures in the first post... they are showing up on my screen, anybody else not see them? ? ?
I'm new to posting pictures the fancy way... sorry guys.

No pics showing up yet.:(

For real?????? I am on a different PC now and I see them. This is frustrating!
Thanks for letting me know uebe. I'll look into it again tonight.
So sorry guys

I can see them! And I'm suscribed!! Looking foward to see this brat kit welded.. I kinda see where you are going with this!!

For real?????? I am on a different PC now and I see them. This is frustrating!
Thanks for letting me know uebe. I'll look into it again tonight.
So sorry guys

I reopened your thread and now I see them.:)

How'd you get the bike up on the table? I see the handles and casters - nice idea. Wheelbarow-like.

Pictures are now showing up for me too.
Thanks Lester.

Can't wait to see what you do with the tubes.

Jim in Minnesota

Hey Guys,

Nice to see some interrest so early in the build prossess, thanks!
Here is some information about the build plans.

Both bikes will be ridden quite a bit in the summer , we have alot of narrow curvy roads and the winter really tears them up as well so the swing arm will come in handy. I would like to give them a custom look with out totally killing practical use. Riding position will have to be as comfortable as a bobber can be comfortable...LOL... hey, I'm not a kid anymore. both bike will be running front brakes and stock mags eventhough I prefer spoke wheels... easy to swap later on when I win lotto or something of that nature.

My wife just got her MC-drivers permitt this fall. She picked it up rideing real fast and passed on the first try. I did tell her if she managed to pass I would give her a bobber for her 40th birthday... She passed and turned 40 last month....so her I am building one for her....lol.
As she is new to motorbikes I will keep the electrics and hand controls as stock as possible on her bike. I feel this is a good place to start and I want her to feel safe and be safe in traffic. We can do away with this on a later time if she wants. She will be choosing the color scheme ect.... you know how they are.

My bike: I have never has blinkers so why start now... lol. So it will be alittle more bare if you will. I have a ColeFoster tank and a ribbed duck bill rear fender I would like to use and I want a sissy bar, accually we both have to have one as the law over here requires the license plate and brake light to be dead center of the bike. The Licence plate is HUGE too.... It kind of kills the look of custom bikes.

Here is a shot of the Brat tubing I mentioned was quite thick walled.

full

Some more tearing down done....

full

I have an advert running for the bits I don't need anymore... not much responce so far. I hung most of the stuff up so I wount occupy floor space.

full

I can see them! And I'm suscribed!! Looking foward to see this brat kit welded.. I kinda see where you are going with this!!

If you can see where I'm going please PM me and tell me....lol. Two bike at the same time is a challenge, I like to super focus on one thing at a time.

I reopened your thread and now I see them.:)

How'd you get the bike up on the table? I see the handles and casters - nice idea. Wheelbarow-like.

I have a I-beam and a wire hoist, took the tank off and just rope around the frame, had to mess around a litte to find the balance... center of gravity... then up it went... I had just enough overhead space to place the bikes on the pedistal.... I was happy about that!

The tables are really good and the possibility to move them around is a must... they corner like an ocean liner but I manage...lol
I highly recommend them... of couse the fancy hydralic ones are nice but not for my pocket let alone 2 of them.

hey Lester, I can't wait to see the chopping.

Nice to have you subscribed Carb, as you know I have been following your build and its commin along great!

Oh here is a none XS thing I would like to Share... Its my winter bike... a 1964 Dnepr with a sidecar... fun to ride and the kids dig it

full

Cheers everyone,
The thermometer is showing -13 degrees C which is about 9 degrees F, getting pretty cold here... I'm so happy I invested in the gass heat lamp to have in the garage so I can get the temperature up within reasonable time. I got the wifes bike pretty much torn down... I got so excited and I couldn't help myself... I just had to chop alittle before I called it a night...
Hope I get some time in the weekend to continue the progress... I need to make engine stands so the engines can safely be stowed out of the way for the time being. Also nicer to work on them in a stand

full

-13! Not bad!! It's -40 here in Quebec for a week now... :doh: It's an expedition to remove any part from the bike in my non-heated bunker!! Back to your surgery!!

-13! Not bad!! It's -40 here in Quebec for a week now... :doh: It's an expedition to remove any part from the bike in my non-heated bunker!! Back to your surgery!!

I know the feeling... We have thouse temperatures here in Norway as well but mostly alittle further north and inland. We live on the coast two hours south of Olso... we do get a nice and sharp sea breeze to make you feel alive... he he he. It seldom drop below -20 here.
I rode the Dnepr to work today.... besides the numbness of the fingers all went well. I'll be stuffing a news paper on the inside of my jacket for the ride home....LOL. :thumbsup:

Hey Guys,
Got alot done this weekend but had a stuck of BAD LUCK... when almost done with the first engine stand my trusty MIG welder decided to die on me. I'm sourcing parts today, wish me luck. The welder was old when I got it and thats about 15 years ago so spares my not be available.... that would be a major set back.
Still have plenty to do so I went ahead and striped my bike but just leaving the engine in the frame for the time being.... I went ahead and chopped the rear frame off of that one too.... now I'm really up shit creek...no turning back on either bike now.

full

I also went ahead and striped the wifes frame of paint. I hate having that bit waiting on my toward the end of the build. Two things suprized me... one was; the quality of the original welds... they are strong enough obviously but just look like crap... also it is obvious they didn't blast the frame before painting them either... old weld spatter was still there to be easily chipped off with a screw driver.
Second to my delight... the original paint was fairly easy to get off. I used a whole lot of "armstrong" with Emory on all the round stock and a wire wheel brush in the tight spots and the flat areas. I was lucky enough to have my shop assistent take over when I needed a break. I'll get some primer on there today and then start fitting "the kit"

full

full

ClockWork thats right you spy a Cole Foster tank... I'm real happy about it but I need rework the mounting brackets.

So I got the frame primed, just a thin coat to stop rusting while I work on it. I wount be sending it off to powder coating. All is to be done in-house and I don't have the funds anyways. AND this being my first XS build I'll propable be adding/moving brakets and mounting tabs along the way so PC would just be a waste. I'll get some quality enemal on there... much better then original anyways....

full

Watching paint (primer) dry is pretty boring so i went ahead and started shaping the seat pans I got on E-bay... 15buck each! I couldn't even get the raw material for that here in Norway let alone pre-cut ones. Pretty solid too... 3mm thinckness so its not something you can give a good bend over your knee.... LOL. The black pan has a nice shape but alittle too small I think.

full

Some pressing in the vice and hammering helped give some shape but I'm not totally happy with the first seat pan yet... just ran out of time. what you think?

full

full

full

Its getting there, I'll have to test sit it when the kit is on the bike before I do more work on it. Hopefully my welder will be up and running ASAP, parts are ordered and in the mail from Sweeden.

I'll be fitting the kit tubes the next few days... wish me luck.

Back