1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s hear it run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TJZ662, Aug 20, 2020.

1. TJZ662

TJZ662 XS650 Member

A little update. Still no battery but should have that soon. Carbs are pulled off, the bowls didn’t look too bad but are definitely getting rebuilt along with the petcocks Once the battery is in I’ll definitely go over all of the wiring as it looks pretty rough. The rear and front end feel pretty tight so that’s the least of my worries. I’ve got 7/8 tracker bars coming and am looking for a sweet seat

2. TJZ662

TJZ662 XS650 Member

Attached Files:

3. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I see you still have the RLU in place (gray box behind the battery area in your second pic). I would ditch that. You don't need it and it can cause all sorts of weird lighting issues if it goes bad (which they do). Instructions on how to do it are here .....

http://www.excess650.co.uk/tips & tricks.htm

YamadudeXS650C and Raymond like this.
  4. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

:agree:
    Back then, that seat was all the rage. That seat was as common as buckhorn bars. Don't throw it out. Somebody here will wan't to go full retro! I think you can still get raised white letter tires in the Bridgestone S11 Spitfire.

YamadudeXS650C and gggGary like this.
  5. TJZ662

TJZ662 XS650 Member

A little update. The build is coming along ever so slowly with 2 little ones and 2 jobs. You know how that goes. But I managed to get it up and running! Has anyone modified the billet set of carb holders to fit stock bs38s?

6. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Before deciding on Carb manifolds it may be good to confirm the vacuum petcocks are functioning properly. A good test is to confirm the petcocks stop the fuel flow in both the "on" and "res" positions on their own with the engine off. The diaphram and plunger can be tested with a short tube manually.
    Many guys ditch the vacuum petcocks. I actually like fiddling around with them. If you were to replace the petcocks with manual petcocks, then a good set of 77 Carb holders would look original and clean and fit just right too.
    ;)

Attached Files:

thuban likes this.
  7. TJZ662

TJZ662 XS650 Member

The carb holders and petcocks are in surprisingly good shape and good working order. I’ll be running pod filters and read that the stock carb holders don’t have enough support without the air box and all. Have I fallen victim to good marketing or does that sound about right?

Machine likes this.
  8. Machine

Lil bit of each. We do get away with the less support with Pods and the lack of the rear airbox support. But.. I have once had the BS38's fall off while riding over a series of speed bumps once with the Pods. Still, with good mounting technique this seems more than adequate to me.
    20201003_164525.jpg

9. TJZ662

TJZ662 XS650 Member

I’ve got the oval filters for now. Would like to get uni’s eventually, but I suppose it’s a non issue. I might make a set of aluminum ones with barbs.

10. TJZ662

TJZ662 XS650 Member

Mr. Machine you’ve got me thinking and searching, now I’m convinced I’ll eventually need non-vacuum petcocks. Can you convert the vaccum ones into “nons”? Or just buy a set off of mikes?

Machine likes this.
  11. Machine

Yes, there are threads on converting vacuum petcocks to manual. Search function ? :umm:
    I haven't looked into it luckily.
    Mikes XS petcocks have other opinions too.

12. TJZ662

TJZ662 XS650 Member

I searched the threads for a vaccum petcock conversion, all I could find was a link to a page that no longer existed. Anyone know of a write up or have done it yourselves?