Let the fun begin! (carb update)

Con88

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I've been lurking here for a while but I finally have my garage cleaned out and it's time to get my tx650a back up to snuff. The name's Paul and I live on that lonely rock just east of Canada (Everyone knows Canada ends in Halifax). Just wanted to say hey and thank everyone for all the great information I've found so far.

Anyway, enough boring talk, here she is ready for a good wrenching
IMG_20180507_185839.jpg

Carb Update

Last edited:
From another Canuck........Welcome Con88!
AFAIK you are our only member from "The Rock". Never quite made it that far east.....yet. But it's on the bucket list. Did make it to Halifax though.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted with lots of pics. We love pics!

Con88,
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you have a nice bike to start with and a good place to work, that’s a great start.
I had to look Newfoundland up, I’ve heard of it but didn’t know much about it. Sure is beautiful country you live in.
Keep us posted on your build, we love photos!
How long of a riding season do you have there?

Welcome to the forum!! What's your plans for the bike?
Has anybody mentioned yet that we like pics?;)
We put into Goose Bay once when we ran low on fuel crossin' the 'Pond.' That's all I got to see though... just the airport :(

Last edited:
Hi Con88 and welcome,
nice bike, same shelving units that I've only got one of and, ooh, there's posh, drapes in the window.

Alright I'll answer a few;

Riding season? About 3-7 months, depending on our very unpredictable weather and your personal tolerance for wet and cold riding.

Plans? I had her running last summer for a bit but for now the carbs need to be rebuilt, the tank is rusty, headers and mufflers are only fit for scrap, and I have to plug a few leaky seals and gaskets. While I'm waiting for parts and the like I'll just be cleaning up the frame and engine exterior, checking electrical, drinking beer.... Hopefully have it running again for late June early July. Come the winter I'll redo the top end and replace the cam chain and guides(or whats left of them, first oil change I thought my daughter dumped a bottle sparkles in the case) and all the gnarly fasteners. End game would hopefully be a nice clean stocker, maybe sport it up a bit new bars, shocks, and replace that god awful cheetah seat the PO had on it.

Drapes? Those are a nice 1960's vintage that came with the house. Very haute culture.

Welcome Con88, I like you engine stand, and I reckon just about every shed & garage in the motorcycle world must have one of those red stools on wheels, and they're bloody rippers too.;)

I present to you the power of soda!

IMG_20180602_194641.jpg

So as you can see I'm working on the carbs. Got one blasted and put back together and the other is stripped ready to go. I used a cheap blasting box I picked up at Princess Auto and was very pleased with it. I also replaced the philips bowl and cover screws for allen heads as the old ones were pretty mangled. Gotta take a look around for new drain plugs too cause the PO seemed to really it out for them.

Once I get the other carb finished I'll be doing the clutch pushrod and cam shaft seals, background activity will be stripping the old kreem out of the tank.

Back