2M you are sooo right.

colecrazy do those lines from the tank just cap off the front motor mount bolts or do they have a purpose?

Work in progress but it is a blast to ride.
C1D8A3F5-D6E6-4421-8C21-2F80CE38FF51_zpst9kborzi.jpg

A couple of mine. The F model will probably always stay stock.
The F model.jpg

A not so special '83 in it's tween years before it became the one in my avatar. Now on it's way back to stock.

A not so special 83.jpg

Ok boys show the goods .... You have all seen mine, but I'll start off the thread .....:thumbsup:

Just finished a paint job on my stock '76, (Dyna ignition, pod filters, Mike's mufflers).

Altho I have professional painting equipment, I decide to try a rattle can finish for reduced mess and cost.

I stripped the bits to the metal, sprayed acid-etching primer, then 4 coats of regular sanding primer. Then 4 coats of acrylic lacquer color coat. Finished with 4 coats of SprayMay (urethane) which gave it a supergloss mirror finish, but sadly, because I painted it outside, there were some dust nibs and one small insect; thankfully, the urethane killed him instantly before he had a chance to squirm. So I had to sand with 800 grit wetordry Trimite, on to 1200, then 1500, then 1800, then polish with the DA using 3M FInesse-It.

XS650.rebuild 006.JPG
XS650.rebuild 005.JPG
XS650.rebuild 016.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure the photos came thru of my '76 rattle can job posted above, so here they are again...

Just finished a paint job on my stock '76, (Dyna ignition, pod filters, Mike's mufflers).
Altho I have professional painting equipment, I decide to try a rattle can finish for reduced mess and cost.

I stripped the bits to the metal, sprayed acid-etching primer, then 4 coats of regular sanding primer. Then 4 coats of acrylic lacquer color coat. Finished with 4 coats of SprayMax (urethane) which gave it a supergloss mirror finish, but sadly, because I painted it outside, there were some dust nibs and one small insect; thankfully, the urethane killed him instantly before he had a chance to squirm. So I had to sand with 800 grit wetordry Trimite, on to 1200, then 1500, then 1800, then polish with the DA using 3M FInesse-It.

XS650.rebuild 006.JPG
XS650.rebuild 005.JPG
XS650.rebuild 016.JPG

I am thinkin' of adding the black plastic tank seam/edge covering. Does anyone know where to purchase it?

Last edited:
They are made to be ridden, JayMichael, and your cafe looks fun to ride. I like the black treatment on the wheels. Your tank decal design is just what I was going for, originally, until I got sidetracked by this Yamahrumph decal. I have both in stock, so I might try the other at some point.

Here's a little something I just picked up. Don't ask to many questions cause I don't know a lot about it.
What oil tank is that you are using to hide your battery? did you make it? or bought it already made? or its from another bike? sorry for the million questions but i am looking into using something like that for my wires and battery. A lil help please!

It's what they call a Harley horseshoe tank. The battery sits inside. I'm going to end up changing it cause I don't like the filler neck hitting my leg.

Back