last ride of the year.
img_0448-jpg.89817

1978 Yamaha XS650SE.jpg
I bought this bike from my older brother 20 years ago, and it has since followed me through 3 changes of address. I have a new set of dust covers for the forks, as well as the stock taillight and amber lenses for the rear turn signals. The bike has 6,349 miles on the clock and was last registered in 1996.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Dan Guevin. That bike looks like it's fairly close to original. They are hard to find in that condition.
I would restore it...but it's totally up to you.

Dan late model standards are getting hard to find and are becoming sought after classics.
Restore this baby and buy a special which are common if you want to do a chop or tracker.

This bike came from William Cernik a Late member of XS650Com who passed away 2 1/2 years ago.
Bills daughter rang me from New York and told me her Dad had Cancer with only a couple of days left and Bill wanted to know if I would take care of his bike.
This original XS650C now sits in my collection of bikes here in Sydney Australia.
This bike came on Ebay about 4 years ago and Bill just beat me at the post winning it.
I messaged him after the auction and congratulated him on a great win on a nice bike he had won.
Bill put me onto XS650com and we chatted every now and then on how our 650s were going and what we were up to.
Just before Bill was diagnosed with Cancer he had rang me excited that he had just purchased a Special and was going to do a Bobber .
He managed to get the special stripped down but sadly the cancer spread too quick to see his project finished.
Proud to have Bills Bike sitting here in my line up.

XS650C.jpg
$T2eC16J,!zQE9s3sq+8nBR,01NzoGg~~60_57[1].jpg
$T2eC16J,!wsE9suw)yU6BR,00UGb7g~~60_57[1] (2).jpg

My current XS. Built by a local shop and sold to a friend. He sold it to another friend, then this summer I acquired it. "Tracker" is my favorite style and it's a blast to ride.

This is the first vintage bike I've bought as a finished build, so this winter I'm planning a style "refresh" to make it feel a bit more personal.

XS%20650-40_zps3pdz0o12.jpg

I'm back. I had to get rid of my 77 last year but I'm picking up this 74 TX tomorrow. I've got pipes otw from HH and it's already got a PMA and vm34s. Planning a clean up and going through this winter but it's ready to ride now. I'm not going to take this one apart and add to the 10 other non-running projects.
%5BURL=http://s261.photobucket.com/user/bcthomas122279/media/1C949D31-35DF-4E13-BFCB-E88D1EC5ED14_zpscqtlmimh.jpg.html][/URL]
I watched that bike on CL for a week or so. Was tempted but it was a bit outside of my working cash right now. Glad to see it on here!

I watched that bike on CL for a week or so. Was tempted but it was a bit outside of my working cash right now. Glad to see it on here!

I got it from a friend who builds bikes full time and was sitting on way too many bikes with winter coming so we helped each other out. He actually just finished building my old 77 up for a customer.

Where are you located?

Oh, nice! I traded my XS400 to a friend to get my current 650. Always fun to keep them in the family!

I'm in Springfield, MO. Got a good group of vintage riders up here.

WT100 is this the one that got stuck in Marionville for awhile? Jus wonderin. Not really here nor there.

Yes. I was an outside observer on that deal, and never understood what all went on.
Now I have all the receipts on that build and the bike's first build. It has a great "provenance".

I'm pretty sure I've put more miles on it in my first year of ownership than in it's entire life since it's first build. :)

Back