Picked up the 277 rephased 700 big bore beast by @IronHeartCycles from the shippers last week.
Message_1487291405311.jpg

full

full

full

This is Suzie Q. She came into my life as a rusty, dented, barely running barn find, and 3 years of work have transformed her into this.
Mods- Engine bored, ported, and polished, carbs jetted.
Hoos racing TT style pipes.
Forward controls are modified Suzuki intruder parts with cable operated rear brake.
Tank and rear shocks are Honda Rebel. Wheels are 21″ 64 spoke front and 19″ 48 spoke rear.
Bars are 12″ TC bros. Rear fender is stock, rotated forward and mounted to the swingarm for that “tire hugging” look.
Tailights are model A and a LED license plate surround.
Headlight is Ebay on a custom bracket.
She’s still got a starter and battery, but a simplified wiring harness.

At a boulevard near the dutch coast :)
Fredintoon, I see you've got a sidecar brake setup, nice! How is the end of that brake cable connected to your motorcycle?
achterzijde.jpg

Hi Arjan,
it's set up to be independently operated. A modified BSA rear brake pedal pushes on the sidecar brake cable's outer sleeve to work the brake when riding.
The hook end on the brake cable's inner wire is connected to a re-purposed Chevy hand brake lever that can pull the inner wire to act as a parking brake.

My XS1 750 big bore 20thou over, ported head, 5th gear overdrive, 256 cam, 457 gears, Pamco, PMA, 29 tooth sprocket, progressive balanced crank, 650 central performance clutch and springs, race rods and pistons. She's plenty fast and I still can't keep the clutch from slipping in 5th gear at 75 mph when I drop the hammer. I fabricated what you see and built the engine. The bike is powder coated. Some great bikes on this thread. My next mod is a hydraulic slave cylinder and a 8 plate clutch. Love you guys and all the help you've given me. Cheers
IMG_0917.JPG

Last edited:
My XS1 750 big bore 20thou over, ported head, 5th gear overdrive, 256 cam, 457 gears, Pamco, PMA, 29 tooth sprocket, progressive balanced crank, 650 central performance clutch and springs, race rods and pistons. She's plenty fast and I still can't keep the clutch from slipping in 5th gear at 75 mph when I drop the hammer. I fabricated what you see and built the engine. The bike is powder coated. Some great bikes on this thread. My next mod is a hydraulic slave cylinder and a 8 plate clutch. Love you guys and all the help you've given me. CheersView attachment 96866

Hey Metal, your scoot is not my style, but yours is well...............grrrrrrreat!
Beautiful.

Finally worked out how to do this.
Here's my Heritage Special/Velorex 562 sidecar rig.
IMG_0021.jpg

I love your sidecar rig, Fred ! Someday I hope to put together something similar, myself.

Perhaps I'll use my '75.. A Dutch friend turned me on to a website called Classicyams, where I found this great photo, with the caption:
"Dutchman Fried Anepool is the founder of the very large Dutch XS650 Club and (logically) a longtime fan himself. Here he is speeding with his wife on the Assen T.T. circuit in 1989."

gemakassen.jpg

I've been working on my own '75 for a couple months, once I could turn wrenches again after the surgery. Put in a PAMCO with dual output coil, a VR-727, wired up a rectifier using the $3.50 component from China, replaced the clutch plates and installed a starter gear kit, among other things, and was finally able to get it outside yesterday to fire it up. It did so immediately and runs great. Just had to retard the PAMCO a bit. Here's pic from last summer:

1975.XS650 006.JPG

I love your sidecar rig, Fred ! Someday I hope to put together something similar, myself.

Hi 'dude and thanks,
the Silver Bullet is my 5th sidecar build and my 3rd XS650 sidecar build and I reckon I've very nearly got it right.
The Silver Bullet's Velorex-specific sidecar footbrake/parking brake set-up could be done better,
as could the front end of the sidecar attachment subframe
If you ever get serious about putting a sidecar rig together I can post photos here &/or mail you some badly drawn sketches.

Thanks. Rather than grinding down the "Yamaha", this was bolted on to give the appearance of a derby cover.
I guess you're embarrassed to be seen on a bike with YAMAHA on the side of it. Why don't you buy some "Harley Davidson" decals to add to the side of your tank, to complete the disguise ? The things is that people that know bikes, can tell at a glance that its a Yamaha XS650. The people that don't know bikes, don't care what you're driving anyway.

Who said I was embarrassed or hiding the Yamaha! You don't know anything about me, and you presume to know the reasons I do what I do??? I'm hardly the first person to remove emblems. It's a common practice in building custom cars or bikes.
Clearly you have nothing better to do than sit behind your computer and talk shit..... coward!

Back