I love your sidecar rig, Fred ! Someday I hope to put together something similar, myself.

Hi 'dude and thanks,
the Silver Bullet is my 5th sidecar build and my 3rd XS650 sidecar build and I reckon I've very nearly got it right.
The Silver Bullet's Velorex-specific sidecar footbrake/parking brake set-up could be done better,
as could the front end of the sidecar attachment subframe
If you ever get serious about putting a sidecar rig together I can post photos here &/or mail you some badly drawn sketches.

Fred,

When I get around to doing a sidecar project, you will be the first person I will consult with.

Gentlemen,

Lets all be civil with one another, here.
I think that all of us have good intentions.
What joins us is an affection for this marvelous bike.

Hey shortTRIP---Great looking bike, I'd like to know what you used for the carb air filters. A pic would be perfect, thanks.
tim

Thanks Tim,
Basically, it's a piece of flared stainless bent at an angle. The little mesh filters were tack welded on, and it's all held on with rubber coupling and hose clamps.
Nothing to them really. They work just fine and give the intake a unique look IMO
IMG_3704.JPG

Who said I was embarrassed or hiding the Yamaha! You don't know anything about me, and you presume to know the reasons I do what I do??? I'm hardly the first person to remove emblems. It's a common practice in building custom cars or bikes.
Clearly you have nothing better to do than sit behind your computer and talk shit..... coward!

Personally, shortTRIP, I think your 'derby cover' is a great idea. Looks great IMHO...I just might use it if you don't mind.

Wecome, Nod.
Have'nt seen a king and queen seat like that in a while.
Nice design on the tank; are you the painter?
Can you get away with no front brake in Indonesia?

Wecome, Nod.
Have'nt seen a king and queen seat like that in a while.
Nice design on the tank; are you the painter?
Can you get away with no front brake in Indonesia?

Just want to make variaton on seat. There are'nt paint on the tank, just decal. About the front brake it is make me ride more slowly and carefully. Haha..

Nod, I'm not big on rigids, but damn that is sweet! Nice work!

I'm back. I had to get rid of my 77 last year but I'm picking up this 74 TX tomorrow. I've got pipes otw from HH and it's already got a PMA and vm34s. Planning a clean up and going through this winter but it's ready to ride now. I'm not going to take this one apart and add to the 10 other non-running projects.
%5BURL=http://s261.photobucket.com/user/bcthomas122279/media/1C949D31-35DF-4E13-BFCB-E88D1EC5ED14_zpscqtlmimh.jpg.html]
1C949D31-35DF-4E13-BFCB-E88D1EC5ED14_zpscqtlmimh.jpg
[/URL]
Well....I said I wouldn't take it apart but...I have a 700cc rephased engine being built by Ryan at iron heart cycles. I took advantage of his holiday sale earlier this year and went for every extra. I've really enjoyed ripping around on this machine through our very mild winter.

Well guys... I'm new here... I don't have a tuned up, chopped, or enhanced, custom, artistic masterpiece...

But what I do have is a newly discovered passion and appreciation for Yamaha's XS650... and a couple new scars from honest hard work....my... work AFTER work project.

Purchased this bike from an older Vietnam Era Vet when I got home from another deployment a few months back.. After my 3rd tour and some injuries I decided I wanted to find something I can put time and care into that I can pass on and be remembered by...Or at the very least proud of... I have a mechanical background in electronics and diesels in the service myself, but just couldn't even guess where to begin on this curiously unfamiliar machinery.....

So with lots of assistance from other forum members here, some trial and error, and patience, I am very proud to have this baby back in action. Also, for my first civilian acquired and operated motorcycle, taking the time to research and learn more about the history and mechanics that are involved in this particular model and year has by far been the most rewarding "non-combat", "non-fatherhood" experience of my life. I hope to acquire an awful lot more of these bikes in all different years and varieties, and thanks to the United States Army, Department of VA, and Wounded Warrior Rehabilitation programs, at the crisp age of 26, that hope will surely become a reality very soon.......

Haters gonna Hate, bullets and bombs didn't kill me, so your distasteful opinions will be like MRE's for me...eat it to survive, shit it out in no time... My Northern Michigan pride is loyal for The D... My 1980 XS650SG...."The Lions Pride"
image.jpg

Thank you everyone and for the service recognition. Finding this Bike to work on and this site full of helpful and supportive folks has been better than any other forms of therapy for stress I've ever been subjected too. It will be a full finish after next winter. But for the spring and summer now, I'm riding this baby!!

Back