Thanks Bob! Yeah, my butt is a little tender right now but not from Lucille's new seat.

Actually, the top surface of the original 1976 XS650C seat and all of the foam were re-used from the original seat so it feels that same and is actually, quite comfortable. You know, those classic, 1960s-70s British and Japanese long, wide, and not too thick "banana" seats were very practical and comfortable IMO. The best one of that day was generally agree by all the bike magazines to be the Suzuki GS850G seat (the standard model, not their "L" model which was equivalent to the Yamaha "Specials").

One mag - I think it was Cycle World - put a photo of the GS850G seat in a centrefold with the caption: "The best seat ever put on a motorcycle". Suzuki had tried really hard with the 850 seat to pay attention to ergonomics (apparently, they hired a genuine "assologist" from Toyota to design it). It actually had two different densities of foam - which was quite an innovation 38 years ago). I had a 1979 GS850 - and can confirm that the seat truly was a wonder. No Honda Gold Wing, Kawasaki Z1 or Harley seat of the day could come remotely close in comfort. I never tried an XS750, 850 or 1100 - but apparently, the Suzuki was better than them too.

Anyhow, it isn't an XS650 story, but 30 minutes ago, I got off the road from a long ride on the big Honda ST1300 today - a total of about 700 km (around 420 miles) between 6:45 AM and just now. The bike ran superb - which is good, because I did a major repair this past March. A friend and I replaced the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder which is actually a very simple task except that the darned thing is buried way up inside the innards of the bike, on the backside of the engine immediately in front of the rear wheel/swing arm assembly. Access is very tight and you have to finagle three aluminium crush washers into place on the hydraulic fitting - well, it isn't fun....but it worked.

It is kind of cool to have two such different bikes - the XS650 is light and nimble, a little bit loud (but oooohhh what a beautiful sound....), she is cranky to start, she vibrates and is VERY simple to work on, plus, she isn't really all that powerful. The ST1300, on the other hand, is smooth as a baby's bottom and dead-nuts reliable, but she is big, heavy, very complicated and has power like you couldn't imagine. Basically, she has a high performance liquid cooled, 1.3 litre DOHC 16 valve EFI V4 car engine in a vehicle that weighs 1/3 of what a car weighs, plus it has ABS, linked fore & aft brakes and a wind screen that is powered to move up and down via a switch on the LH handlebar. Once she's moving, she feels very light, but if you screw up a parking lot manoeuvre and she decides that she wants to lie down and have a snooze...well, you're going down. Fortunately, these ST bikes are amazingly reliable (200,000 miles or 300,000 km is not at all uncommon) and boy can they chew up the miles on a freeway!

Anyhow - tomorrow, it's back to Lucille's beautification program, I think.

Pete

Last edited:
in the past I could set all day on the bikes and never have a problem.... but not any more ! a 2 hr ride is more than enough ! LOL
on Lucille...... you can polish up those side covers and all the exposed aluminum while they are still on the bike ya know..... ya just gott'a set on the ground and go after it with the fine sandpaper....
I cheated allot on my bike and used the electric sander for most of each sideand then just finished by hand it's allot of work and will definately give your arms a work out but the results are very nice......
I didn't take mine to a complete mirror finish as I didn't have the stuff to do that but it sure beats looking at the marbled aluminum finish that was there..... in the past I used steel wool... never touched sideplates with sand paper before....and I was happy with the results they shined up real nice but the sandpaper does definately do a better job and you have fewer scratches to take out.... I finished off everything with real fine steel wool and got a satten silvery finish by doing that.... not a mirror but somewhat reflective anyway.
I did get a rotary wire brush for the drill but I already had the plates done by then ! LOL.... i think that would have helped allot getting the oxidation off to start with but may well have left deep scratches too so I don't really know at this point!
the nice thing about a BIG bike is the ability to travel quickly over long distances.... the 1100cc honda I had certainly would do that with ease, but for town stuff it was a too heavy , too fat, too long,too powerfull and too thursty bike for doing town running...
but I could carry alot with it with the saddle bags and stuff... one thing I liked about that bike was down shifting comming to an intersection and getting a chirp out of the rear wheel each time LOL hehehehehhe !
Bob......

Did over 400 kilometers on mine yesterday, plenty of stops made the butt not too sore....

Have a heart attack on the fuel cost 7.30 litres @ $1.67 / litre, or 1.92 USG, cost me $12.27 AU / $9.52 USD at today's conversion rate !

IMG_3858.JPG

1/2 way....YEAH I know, still need to set the elevation to sea level... :)

IMG_0986.JPG

Very nice ride and pics there Mick! I'd have to work my way up to 400 Kilo's on my bike. I haven't done more than 60 miles in one run yet. We're still establishing " our level of trust! "

Thanks Bob! Yeah, my butt is a little tender right now but not from Lucille's new seat.

Actually, the top surface of the original 1976 XS650C seat and all of the foam were re-used from the original seat so it feels that same and is actually, quite comfortable. You know, those classic, 1960s-70s British and Japanese long, wide, and not too thick "banana" seats were very practical and comfortable IMO. The best one of that day was generally agree by all the bike magazines to be the Suzuki GS850G seat (the standard model, not their "L" model which was equivalent to the Yamaha "Specials").

One mag - I think it was Cycle World - put a photo of the GS850G seat in a centrefold with the caption: "The best seat ever put on a motorcycle". Suzuki had tried really hard with the 850 seat to pay attention to ergonomics (apparently, they hired a genuine "assologist" from Toyota to design it). It actually had two different densities of foam - which was quite an innovation 38 years ago). I had a 1979 GS850 - and can confirm that the seat truly was a wonder. No Honda Gold Wing, Kawasaki Z1 or Harley seat of the day could come remotely close in comfort. I never tried an XS750, 850 or 1100 - but apparently, the Suzuki was better than them too.

Anyhow, it isn't an XS650 story, but 30 minutes ago, I got off the road from a long ride on the big Honda ST1300 today - a total of about 700 km (around 420 miles) between 6:45 AM and just now. The bike ran superb - which is good, because I did a major repair this past March. A friend and I replaced the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder which is actually a very simple task except that the darned thing is buried way up inside the innards of the bike, on the backside of the engine immediately in front of the rear wheel/swing arm assembly. Access is very tight and you have to finagle three aluminium crush washers into place on the hydraulic fitting - well, it isn't fun....but it worked.

It is kind of cool to have two such different bikes - the XS650 is light and nimble, a little bit loud (but oooohhh what a beautiful sound....), she is cranky to start, she vibrates and is VERY simple to work on, plus, she isn't really all that powerful. The ST1300, on the other hand, is smooth as a baby's bottom and dead-nuts reliable, but she is big, heavy, very complicated and has power like you couldn't imagine. Basically, she has a high performance liquid cooled, 1.3 litre DOHC 16 valve EFI V4 car engine in a vehicle that weighs 1/3 of what a car weights, plus it has ABS, linked fore & aft brakes and a wind screen that is powered to move up and down via a switch on the LH handlebar. Once she's moving, she feels very light, but if you screw up a parking lot manoeuvre and she decides that she wants to lie down and have a snooze...well, you're going down. Fortunately, these ST bikes are amazingly reliable (200,000 miles or 300,000 km is not at all uncommon) and boy can they chew up the miles on a freeway!

Anyhow - tomorrow, it's back to Lucille's beautification program, I think.

Pete

Pete, so happy you got to have a little MaxPete time today. You earned it. Your seat came out Grrreat! Your upholsterer is a genius! It all looks original, you'd never know it was apart.

As for your Honda Rocket, that really is a magnificent beastie, I have always liked those ST's, they are mechanical marvels, they eat up miles like nothing. It actually has a bigger motor than my car and makes way more horsepower. ( A Fiat 500, yeah I know, I like quirky Italians, I married one! Haha)
Good for you, Canada's riding season is just getting going eh?

Very nice ride and pics there Mick! I'd have to work my way up to 400 Kilo's on my bike. I haven't done more than 60 miles in one run yet. We're still establishing " our level of trust! "

Yup - and that cautious approach is a very good plan Mailman, IMO.

It was quite some time after getting Lucille running last year before I went on an inter-city jaunt. I rode to a vintage bike show about 230 km away just east of London, ON - and I must admit that my heart was in my throat the whole time, on the way there. However, once I got there, I had a ball, got some good parts for the bike and then on the way back, I decided to "explore her envelope" a little by pushing the speed up to supra-legal levels (like over 100 km/hr which is just over 60 MPH). All went well, and I was soon having even more fun...belting along at, well, modesty prevents me from saying, but let's just say that I was running at over 4,000 RPM in 5th for a while. :rock:

That was cool - until I went on reserve around 60 km from home - and then simply ran completely out of fuel about 4 km from home. That left me standing under a bridge while Daughter #2 brought the lawnmower fuel can out to me....stupid git. :banghead::oops:

Oh well, it was all good fun and now I recall that I must re-set the trip-meter every time I fuel up - and then watch it carefully, especially if I am "simulating" the ton.

On our riding season - it really depends on where you live. Out east (Halifax, Newfoundland, etc.) and on the Prairies and in Alberta and most of BC where Fred, RG and Johnny live, they may still have a significant amount of snow whereas in Vancouver, and SW Ontario where I live, it doesn't actually always snow all that much during the winter. In Feb. this year, the temperature hit 72 deg. F here and I started riding, and then in March, it got really frickin' cold again and I had to stop because it did snow a bit. I have seen videos of British bikers riding on snowy roads and, with all due respect to the Mother Country, I think that is totally nuts. I am Canadian and so I know more about crappy weather than most people (and certainly most Brits) and I've got one word of advice about riding a large motorcycle on a snowy road - DON'T!!

Anyhow, today started out at 6C (around 40 deg. F) at 6 AM and finished up at around 9C - so not all that warm, but at least no precipitation.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
Yup - it was chilly, but a friend gave me (GAVE) a genuine BMW rain/riding suit in January and today I wore it for the first time. It was amazingly warm and cozy the whole day and I didn't even use the electrically heated grips on the ST - or wear my winter-weight gloves.

The only problem was that the suit is a teeeny bit too short in the body for me and so once I wrestled my way into it (which must have been a hilarious booogaloo on the driveway in semi-darkness this morning) - I couldn't get back out of it and had to be assisted by a waitress in a diner so that I could go and "drain the dragon".

....bloody Germans - who the he!! makes a 1-piecer with NO FLY?

Interesting comment to be made on temperature. What was really noticeable here was we have had a 15 degree drop in our temp from a blast coming from the Antarctic, from 30° down to around 18° yesterday when I went out for my ride. The bike went really well breathing the colder air, more responsive and more grunt. as the day warmed up it did still go pretty well.
I know that diesel engines don't like hot air in their intake so I am guessing that it's the same for the petrol engines as well, cooler temperature on the intake and the engine temperature would also be cooler. I cannot verify this with any scientific reasoning , just my observation, noticeable though. Bike was a rocket ship, in the cooler operating temps.
I did try to get one of the oil temp dipsticks from DogBunny reading in celsius, but he was reluctant to make any for the metric market.

Mick

Yup - you're right Mick. Cooler air is denser - more oxygen per cubic-whatever - and that means more power.

Nice bike - but he's missing the rubber on the shift pedal....;)

Seriously though -nitrous is scary stuff. I'd worry about blowing the head off the engine and holing the fuel tank. Having said that, I'll bet that bike is a blast to ride!

Yes, anything that mixes hydro carbons with oxygen will produce more power with denser cold air.
You can generate more power from gas turbine generators (jet engines) in winter than in summer.

MaxPete; Oh man..................if someone could have videod you being assisted by a waitress, to relieve your "no fly" issue........................that would have gone viral
on YouTube:D

Last edited:
I know that diesel engines don't like hot air in their intake so I am guessing that it's the same for the petrol engines as well, cooler temperature on the intake and the engine temperature would also be cooler. I cannot verify this with any scientific reasoning , just my observation, noticeable though. Bike was a rocket ship, in the cooler operating temps.

Mick

Just make a note of where Ducati puts their air intake. They did the scientific reasoning.

Oh yeah - as I said....I'll bet a lot of people would pay money to watch the solo boogaloo dance I did on the driveway getting the darned thing on in the first place.

Here are a few shots from long long ago (15+ years). The one with me in it is from Mid-Ohio vintage days when I rode down from Ann Arbor when I was in college and camped with the xs650 society. The tracker was my first build. It was punched out to 750cc with a hot cam and Shell Thuett heads and VM34s. I'd kill to know where these two bikes were today. Anybody seen them???
1934039_1121881258966_4945545_n.jpg
1934039_1121881338968_960052_n.jpg
1934039_1121881618975_6978341_n.jpg
old tracker.jpg

Hey Jessezm, we all regret what we had in the past...2-'66 Chevelles, 2-'57 Corvettes, '62 Big Brake Corvette FI, '70 Chevelle, '55 and '57 Belairs, '64 Malibu, etc...
and of course my Champion frame XS650 Street tracker with 'real' Morris Mags sold in '91.
Life goes on and regrets are part of it...unfortunately.

Attachments

• 750 A.JPG
    750 A.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 750B.JPG
    750B.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Back