there ain't no lacquer on it. Only thing that's ever been done to it is the liner. Lots of rain and gas and oil over 5 years and that's what you'll get.
Hi Brew,
you seem to have edited out a line that was in the e-mail that the list sent me :- " got any other details on MY motorcycle that I built? "
OK then, the lets say "controlled rust" is the look you want and that's fine, as is the hardtail so long as your back survives but why no front brake and no front fender?
Those extreme modifications are obviously perfect for winning a prize at Biltwell (and congratulations for that) but I'd be scared to drive it on the street.

IMG_9941.JPG

Hah! I had no clue! It's probably cause I haven't owned an xs650 for 15 years until just a couple months ago... Here's a shot of the one I'm restoring now:
View attachment 99141
Hey, Jessezm, nice 72. Just like mine. And I live in Flowery Branch. Funny thing, mine had only one mirror until last month.

IMG_0772.JPG
Had to rebuild crank new rods coated 3" pistons 707cc 9 to1 compression a taller fifth gear and a 3" fork drop new rockers and valves this past winter. The tank is rusted custom no paint satin clear on top she runs as good as she looks T hanks to all for your advise I find these bikes easier to work on after you do it once or five times. Oh yeah my baby got a new pair of shoes.

Last edited:
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG
Still a work in progress, but an update with my new counter balance seat from Wes, and pandemonium exhaust with cone engineering mufflers. Starting to shape up nicely.

Last edited:
Hi all, new to the site
Picked up an ongoing project so looking forward to picking people's brains for ideas, the tech info/ideas on here is great which is why I've joined.

Started as an 83 Special US import into U.K.. FMW Triumph hardtail, which has been modified to mount the XS motor, this had already been done, as well as overhauling the motor, which is a shame as the plan is to pull it apart fit a rephrased crank and cam, 750 conversion and 5th gear.

Plan for front end is to graft on an XS400 TLS wheel hub which I've already got hold of. Looking at a couple of solutions, for this, using the 650 forks, using sleeves for the axle difference and the SR bracket as a drum stop or swopping out the stem and using the 400 forks
PMA batteryless system is planned
Hate the tank so that'll be swooped for something else more suitable

IMG_2657.JPG Trying to capture the view. But this bike got in the way. Great day to ride today, I got a nice 45-50 miles in this morning. This is near Blue Mounds State Park Wisconsin.

Back