Resto was restive so at 4:30PM headed out, ended up going to the Mississippi River on the "back" roads.
resto RC.jpg
The world's only FLW designed warehouse. Like most of his buildings it's crumbling, there's a shoestring restoration effort going, a race against time.
resto gays mills.jpg
Ran the ridges north of the Wisconsin River a large orchard area.
got to the River at Ferryville
Resto MIss river.jpg
Was sunset at the river, had on just a mesh cycle jacket and light pants, chilly, home at 9:30, 210 miles total, stopped only for the pics, FLW shot was at a gas station. Resto ran flawlessly, :bike: much of the run back was at 65-70 til it got dark. One deer just stood in the middle of the road looking at me, :doh: I had to nearly stop before she finally took off, I could hear her little hoofies skittering on the pavement as she poured on the coals.

Last edited:
Here's my XS, it's an "80" model and the second XS I've owned...

standard.jpg

BTW, that's a reflection in the tank, not a dent.

Anyway, it really was a "barn find" that I found about a year ago. It looks as I bought it, but I did have to get it going and it runs VERY good.

For now I'm riding it some, but I'm not sure if I will keep it long term or not as it's not my only motorcycle and I'm not sure I want to put any money into it to restore it or not.

I like it though and it's a pretty nice older bike that starts easily and runs well.

SR

I also thought 81, but my last donor bike for the No Theme Build is titled a 1980 and has a MFG date of 3-80. Has that drum brake also??

Nice, my '80 special has the alloy grab rail (big square stop light) and a rear disc, did they make the special II AND the special at the same time in 1980?

Nice, my '80 special has the alloy grab rail (big square stop light) and a rear disc, did they make the special II AND the special at the same time in 1980?
Yes. The XS650SG and XS650G. They have many differences. The Special II is much like the 78 and 79. The Special got a lot of changes. It’s more than I care to list right now.

Yes. The XS650SG and XS650G. They have many differences. The Special II is much like the 78 and 79. The Special got a lot of changes. It’s more than I care to list right now.
Cool, I had vague thoughts about the special 2 coming after the special but before the heratige special... I'll go and look at Wikipedia some more :thumbsdown:

Back