1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's See The XS's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XS650RR, Nov 13, 2009.

1. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Ohhhh, a green one, don't see too many of those. A 650E would technically be a '78 model. It appears some parts swapping was going on. The tank and side cover decals are '78, along with the petcocks. The headlight ears are off a Special model and the seat looks like a '79 version (square pleat pattern and more of a "hump").

2. londoncabby

londoncabby XS650 Enthusiast

Hi 5twins so would it of left the factory like that I don’t think it’s been messed about with but I haven’t got much history with it so who knows,I’m not keen on the seat and was thinking of changing it for a level flat seat would that be more in keeping with that model?

3. Machine

Machine Race the wind

Seats are easy to switch. Check out the 75 or 76 era . They are flatter and harder and tough !
    20181217_164815.jpg

4. Machine

Machine Race the wind

So does your "79" have that left side frame loop for handling such as center stand lifting?

gggGary likes this.
  5. londoncabby

Yes it has got the frame loop I just went out to the garage to have a look I never noticed that before!

6. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Well, '78's definitely had that but apparently '79's might come either way, with or without.

7. Machine

Machine Race the wind

So, what are your gauges like ? Green faced reading to 140 mph ? Or black faced reading to 120 mph ?
    Your chrome headlight is also sourced from a "Special" model ..
    Gauge pic?

8. Machine

Machine Race the wind

Mfg date on the steering stem sticker ?

9. 650Skull

650Skull Dogonit Top Contributor

Here's my take on it.

US import 78E, (Vin to be verified), Vin should be Between 2F0 000101....2F0 02000...

looks to have the 78 gauges from what i can see Green face white needle.........headlight bucket holders off a Special as 5twins points out......
    78E gauges...............................79F gauges
    1 1d.jpg fol2F0_6.jpg

Seat is from a 79F Standard
    78E Standard Seat.....................79F Standard seat
    1 1a.jpg 79F.jpg

TwoManyXS1Bs and Machine like this.
  10. Machine

Machine Race the wind

Agree. A Green 78E is a great find

11. londoncabby

Sorry my mistake just checked the log book (title) and it is a 78 and the clocks are the 140mph with the White needles and the vin number seems to be right so it seems the headlight and seat are wrong mmm wonder why?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  12. 650Skull

650Skull Dogonit Top Contributor

It's a US import so these guys will buy a bike and replace parts with what they can get their hands on, or buy from sellers who advertise the parts for the wrong models thinking it is for their model.........

TwoManyXS1Bs and londoncabby like this.
  13. Machine

Machine Race the wind

92146C52-51F2-4764-B3CC-96DB26107EDE.jpeg.jpg
    Intentional ? Look at em. The 79 seat looks more Triumph like. And the Chrome headlight as well.
    The stock XS Standard pipes are likely the biggest challenge to find if you want it back to original anyway.
    Nice Bike !

14. UTBirdman

UTBirdman XS650 New Member

Utah
    Picked this up a few months ago. A 1980 Special, repainted to Vintage Burgundy. Mainly stock with 15,000 miles (Carbs still have caps on the pilot screws). Since purchased a few months ago have installed xs1 handlebars, replaced the clutch seal, gone to a single clutch shaft, put some new tires on it, replaced screaming speedo with a '79 special speedo (120mph), adjusted the valves, and just had fun riding. Did a 1200 mile trip with my son's 81 XT250 in the fall. Looking forward to some rides this year. First bike was a ratty 78 XS650, kind of fond of these bikes, cannot really explain it. xs650-1.jpg xs650-2.jpg xs650-3.jpg

15. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Awesome looking bike UT!

16. Stone Co Rambler

Stone Co Rambler Tarmac & Terra Firma

Out for a little toodle in the Ozarks the other day.
    Sadly, I'll miss the rally here--again--- this year. Happens during a music workshop weekend where I'm otherwise occupied.

Cheers!

IMG_1452.JPG

Superjet, TwoManyXS1Bs, Meddy and 3 others like this.
  17. WT100

WT100 100 countries or bust!

Great looking bike. Mind saying where you got the headlight screen?

MrBultaco likes this.
  18. Stone Co Rambler

Stone Co Rambler Tarmac & Terra Firma

Thanks...it was an eBay purchase a few years back. Advertised to fit "most Jap bikes of the 70's area" and on whatever the headlight measurement is. Sure enough, it fit. Can't recall who sold it and the vendor is long gone.Bet you could find one tho.

It is zip tied in some strategic locations around the chrome trim ring on the headlight and has held strong.
    Mounting hardware that came w/ it was of no use.

WT100 and MrBultaco like this.
  19. WT100

WT100 100 countries or bust!

XS 650-66.JPG Winter refresh completed by Tim Pierce. Ceramic coated exhaust and new muffler. Sounds great!

20. ShaneWey

ShaneWey XS650 Member

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking in the shadows for months and I just wanted to say thank you so much to all you guys sharing your knowledge. I'm currently going through the, "get to know your bike" checklist. My plan is to film each step and post it for fellow newbies. Anyway, enough chat, I'll throw some pics up of the scoot because I know that's all you vultures want.

Attached Files:

Meddy, Superjet, fishandchips and 2 others like this.