1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's See The XS's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XS650RR, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Dang Gary! I forgot you still had that beautiful bike! You trade so many. That really is a nice bike and GREAT photos! I’m happy to see you other guys finally able to shake off the winter funk! :thumbsup:

gggGary and Jim like this.
  2. Triggerton III

Triggerton III XS650 Member

IMG_20190329_205037.jpg IMG_20190329_205017.jpg IMG_20190329_205037.jpg IMG_20190329_205017.jpg IMG_20190329_205051.jpg IMG_20190329_205103.jpg IMG_20190329_205116.jpg

This is essentially a bitsa .A xs1b with a tx650 tank a 80s engine ( correction 79 ) in the frame. The one on the work bench and the bits on the shelf are the original engine. As it's my first attempt at anything remotely like this. I thought I would practice and learn on the engine that was in the frame when I bought. So far I have done.less than 4 miles on it!! She is not a happy girl at the minute.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    RC4MAN, Moabite, Superjet and 6 others like this.
  3. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider Top Contributor

I like the mix of really early and later parts. Well Done!

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  4. Triggerton III

I cant claim it as my own work. I bought it like this. I just hope I can get the early bs38 carbs to work with the later engine. It was and remains a none runner. the signs are that when it was running it was running too rich. It still jetted for the 1B.

5. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Jetting goes with the carbs not the engine. IMHO you would be better off with later carbs or aftermarket. Reportedly ninja carbs are good... Carbs were going through a lot of development, improvement in those years. The forum consensus is the 78-79s were the best, for stock carbs. For normal street use BS34's work quite well also perhaps being better at low RPMs.

6. Triggerton III

Thanks Gary .You may well have saved me a world of pain and money trying to get this to work.

Machine, gggGary and Jim like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Not mine but a great shot.
    2019-04-07-06-41-www.facebook.com (1).png
    If that don't make you want to grab your helmet, you are DEAD boy!

8. Triggerton III

I have spotted some used 78 - 79 carbs on ebay. Would I need to change the throttle for a single cable type? thanks

9. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I think you can just remove one of the cables and just run the other, but I can't say with 100% certainty. Since the bike is so changed around already, I think I'd look for a '76-'78 throttle and switch gear assembly (still has headlight on-off switch). '75 and earlier would all be 2 cable assemblies like you've already got. '79 and later assemblies would be the single cable but have no headlight on-off switch. But I could be wrong about the headlight on-off switch if the assembly comes from a European model. They may have retained the switch for a few years longer. No matter, you'd be able to plainly see if the on-off switch is present just by looking at the unit.

Triggerton III and gggGary like this.
  10. Triggerton III

Thanks 5Twins

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  11. RC4MAN

RC4MAN XS650 Enthusiast

My wife's son has one of the standard R Spec Bolt's. Not a bad bike. I've only seen one of the Scramblers at a local dealer and looked it over well. Noticed how they hodge podged the frame to utilize the standard short shocks. Interesting idea but haven't ridden one as yet.

12. sportscarpat

sportscarpat XS650 New Member

Here is the bike I am working on. 1975 forward frame section, all Mule in the rear. Not a Champion, just me messing around with some stickers I had. Champion style seat and tank. Matching number engine that has been updated with a 750 kit. R6 forks with Banke clamps, 19" wheels with Brembo brakes, Al's flat track handlebars, Saddlemans seat. MikesXS ignition and charging system, lots of custom sheet metal work. Will be street legal and has all lights and current California registartion. Still about two weeks away from riding it. Plan is to work out all the bugs and ride it this summer, then a complete tear down in the fall to nickle plate the frame and paint the other parts.
    Thanks,
    Pat

[​IMG]XS650 Tracker by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Triggerton III, RC4MAN, GLJ and 8 others like this.
  13. highboy_coupe

highboy_coupe XS650 Addict

UK
    IMG_20190429_183336(1).jpg

work in progress! Still some wiring to do, and a saddle...

14. yamageek

yamageek XS650 Member

NY USA
    New member here Just picked this up over the weekend. My current ride is a Kawi W650 which I like and I also have a W1 project that I have gathered most of the parts for. I'm just going to go through this one and change or upgrade some things. Hope to have it roadworthy in a month or so. Just an old dude tinkering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. LiveSlowDieWhenever

LiveSlowDieWhenever probably broke down. Just call me greasy.

That thing is wild looking. Excited to see what comes of it. You’re keeping the Indiana Jones paint, right?

16. Here is a good case for the Bolt Scrambler. My long legs would like it!

17. yamageek

yamageek XS650 Member

NY USA
    Yes paint is staying. Looks pretty much brand new and someone spent a lot of time with the striping tape so seems wrong to eff it up.
    Hey just noticed you are in Spencer. I grew up in Elmira. Lived there til 1980. Heading for a swap meet Saturday at the Curtis in Hammondsport.

18. LiveSlowDieWhenever

I think it looks badass. And no kidding! Been here almost 2 years and still haven’t made it up there, I’ll see if I can convince the old lady to come look at old stuff with me. Thanks for the heads up :cheers:

19. LiveSlowDieWhenever

Not an XS, but the other day I finally got around to finishing up the “Rat Bike” death trap that was pawned off on me several years ago. A coworker bought the “moped kit” for his son but was so concerned about the terrible build quality and sketchy engineering that after letting it collect dust in his garage for a year or so he handed it over to me. I bought an old beach cruiser from a yard sale and some rattlecans, and this was the result. I don’t think it’ll do more than 30, but I wouldn’t even do that on it. If this is the wrong place for this let me know 4A6D1D09-18B7-44DB-9966-1D886AADE50B.jpeg 86D5E129-BFBE-425D-8718-FFC7653B36B9.jpeg 8398CB31-5AF4-4EA0-9689-92049FB4EA95.jpeg A6D2C30B-F528-48DD-BC98-D147B422535A.jpeg F597188F-7B37-4ED5-9AF7-02BFDA6033F2.jpeg

GLJ, ThatXS650Guy, Machine and 3 others like this.
  20. Solomoriah

Solomoriah XS650 Addict

I love that wee beastie... if you were closer, I'd make you an offer.