1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's See The XS's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XS650RR, Nov 13, 2009.

1. kawabunga

kawabunga XS650 Addict

Finally finished my build! Thanks, again, for all the help from everyone on the forum!
    Headed to The One Moto Show in Portland this weekend if anyone wants to see it in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inspiration.
    [​IMG]

txxs, Beags64, TwoManyXS1Bs and 10 others like this.
  2. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Kawabunga are you coming to Portland from St. Paul MN ?
    :cool:

Jim likes this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Well man you nailed it! Before you said the Triumph was your inspiration, I was thinking how much it looked like one! :laugh2: Great job!
    I really like it!

gggGary, Jim, kawabunga and 2 others like this.
  4. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before being parked Top Contributor

Colorado
    Agree with Bob, you 'nailed' it.......:cheers:

also: thanks for the parts you sent me.:thumbsup:

gggGary, Jim and kawabunga like this.
  5. kawabunga

kawabunga XS650 Addict

Yes I am.

gggGary, Jim and Machine like this.
  6. kawabunga

kawabunga XS650 Addict

Thanks, guys!
    I really like the Bonneville Bobber and the XS engine looks so similar. The bike basically fell in my lap so it was a sign that it had to happen :)

Mailman and Jim like this.
  7. Kawabunga. Effing sweet build! Can you provide details on the rear frame/suspension? Did you modify a handtail frame or bullied it from scratch?

gggGary, kawabunga and Jim like this.
  8. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Absolutely beautiful!!
    I might have to rethink the swingarm on my speed twin build. Did you lengthen the wheel base?

gggGary, Mailman and kawabunga like this.
  9. AndersJ

AndersJ XS650 Enthusiast

Digging those pipes. Did you make them?

gggGary likes this.
  10. kawabunga

kawabunga XS650 Addict

Thanks!

I utilized a TC Bros hardtail kit to fabricate the back half of the frame and swingarm.
    I got the hardtail tacked into place first. The uprights for the frame are rolled tubing to mimic the curve of the tire. The swingarm is more of those uprights and the pivot is cut out of the original swingarm. The brackets that hold the pivot are laser cut 1/4” plates holding the pivot to the frame and swingarm respectively. Basically welded in the frame uprights, modified the hardtail to prep for the swingarm, weld in the pivot, cut swingarm off of frame, weld in swingarm corners. The shock is from a Ninja 650, which also mount direct from frame to swingarm without a linkage. Was hoping that would get me in the ballpark. It’s definetly stiff at this point and may need to be modified but I haven’t ridden it yet. Still in the dead of winter in MN yet. I’m running tight tolerances for the swingarm motion to help with the hardtail look, so that might need to be addressed to. This is a learning experience for me so we’ll see what happens!

MrBultaco, gggGary and Jim like this.
  11. kawabunga

kawabunga XS650 Addict

And, Jim, I didn’t actually answer your question... Yes, the hardtail kit lengthens the bike by a total of 3”, I think? Details are on their product page.

gggGary and Jim like this.
  12. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a GSXR750 shock and keeping the original pivots, so the shock is more vertical. If I'd lengthened the base, I coulda mounted it like yours. Hmm.... :umm: might have to rethink my softail.

upper tube 2.jpg

cut from jig 2.jpg

Hate to be a pain... but what's the center to center on the mounts on that Kawa shock?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  13. kawabunga

kawabunga XS650 Addict

You’re not a pain, happy to help!
    11-3/8” eye to eye according to my tape measure.

Jim likes this.
  14. Jim

15. Kawabunga. Brilliant work.

kawabunga and gggGary like this.
  16. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Great job!:thumbsup: I really like the pipes and front fender braces.:thumbsup:
    All I can say is be ready for the 2021 Calendar Nominations.:D Your in for sure.:thumbsup:

17. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Oooooooooo, PURDY!

I'm particularly fascinated by your front master cylinder reservoir. Looks like an old manual oiler. Got a closeup of that?

kawabunga and gggGary like this.
  18. kawabunga

kawabunga XS650 Addict

Made by LC Fabrications

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

There are so many cool little details on this bike, you hardly know where to look!

Jim and kawabunga like this.