Beauty! Where did the seat come from?
Thank you:)
It’s a AliExpress with some adjustments to fit how I want it.

In the meantime added some heatwrap
0395C0AB-0177-47FE-B5A9-76755163C170.jpeg

This is the bike you all are helping me to be able to ride more than once in a while...last night after cleaning float valves (carbs on and off several times over the last couple weeks...) it ran pretty well. Then I slowed from 60 to 30 and it stalled. My mind was racing about float settings, taking the carbs off AGAIN, etc. Turned the petcock to Res and it ran fine. Ha! I always say, if a motor won't run, is there any gas?
Tonight I'll rip it on a full tank. Might be ok. Aside from all the beautification work it needs. And the awful trans slip in first.
Left Side Aug 2020.jpg
Right Side Aug 2020.jpg

83 - pretty much bone stock.

Trans slip in first? Sounds like it might benefit from clutch adjustment.

Are those standard wheels? Lotta spokes.

I replaced the clutch (because of this) - think it's adjusted pretty good, but have always wondered about that. Following the "normal" procedure, I'm good except it doesn't solve the problem. Good = I can ride it. I just limit first gear revs.
Pretty sure those are original rims, highly doubt PO did any mods.

I replaced the clutch (because of this) - think it's adjusted pretty good, but have always wondered about that. Following the "normal" procedure, I'm good except it doesn't solve the problem. Good = I can ride it. I just limit first gear revs.
Pretty sure those are original rims, highly doubt PO did any mods.
I have an '83 since new. Yes, the 64 spoke front, and 48 spoke rear wheels are original to those bikes.
Is it the clutch slipping? If the plates are in spec and it's adjusted properly, you need new springs or you contaminated the clutch with oil that has friction modifiers designed for the car.
If the transmission is slipping (making noise), that's something altogether different. I went through that with my XS1100.

"you contaminated the clutch with oil that has friction modifiers designed for the car."\

Like that pre-soak I vaguely remember doing? Using regular old car motor oil might have damaged them? Springs got replaced.

I don’t want to start an oil debate, but several of us use plain old Walmart 20-50 automotive oil and the clutches work just fine. Some of the synthetic and semi synthetic oils are pretty slippery by design. I’m gonna venture a guess that your clutch is adjusted a little too tight, allowing first gear clutch slippage.

Thanks, Mailman How do I "loosen" it?

If you have the screw adjustment too tight at the clutch worm in the left side cover , then it’s like you have the clutch lever pulled in slightly. Which would make it easy to slip when you are pulling from a stop. I am just gonna tell you how to adjust it ( in case you don’t already know ).

To begin, back off the adjustment at the clutch lever all the way. Then back off the adjustment at the screw adjuster, then run the screw back in until it just makes contact. I usually work the clutch lever a few times to make sure there’s no slack in the cable. Tighten the nut back up and make your final adjustment at the clutch lever. I like to be able to see just a very small amount of freeplay at the lever. Also know that most of these bikes will gain more free play at the lever as the motor gets hot.

"you contaminated the clutch with oil that has friction modifiers designed for the car."\

Like that pre-soak I vaguely remember doing? Using regular old car motor oil might have damaged them? Springs got replaced.
Yes!
upload_2020-8-25_17-5-13.jpeg

If a donut anything like this is on the oil bottle, do not use it in a motorcycle with a wet clutch. "Resource Conserving" space should be blank.
So what's a good oil for these old bikes... :oops::woowoo::offtopic::hijack::cussing:
Anything that has a blank donut. Otherwise, the best oil is clean and slippery. You can't go wrong if it is specified for motorcycles. Walmart 20W50 works fine.

final stages, just waiting in indicators to arriveView attachment 174064
I brought this bike three months ago, the previous owner stripped the whole bike, engine included down to individual parts, he brought a heap of new parts from Mikes XS and they were all sitting in boxes when i picked it up, now the interesting part, THAT WAS IN 2010........so I have just put the bike back together with NOS Mikes XS parts :laugh:, including the full mikes carb kit from 2010 still in the box, the old threads on here about the mikes carb kits from 2010/11 have been very valuable, I have had all the issues mentioned in the threads re: cables/slides/floats/overflow pipe etc.... and am still jetting :), there was also a full top end aftermarket bolt kit, interestingly both oil banjo's supplied snapped before i got to the recommended torque, go figure OEM is best :).

Hi, Addict, your bike a bit of a chameleon - have you repainted it a few times or do you have several tanks? Or multiple XSs? Love 'em all, BTW!

Back