1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's See The XS's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XS650RR, Nov 13, 2009.

1. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

The latest pics of the $200 Special, taken last September. It's coming along quite nicely .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about 2 seasons in the "ride and wrench" mode, I've done most of the things I've wanted to do to it (renovated forks w/ the Minton Mods, fork brace, better rear shocks, TX750 swingarm, different wheels, complete new exhaust, 1/2" MC, '80 seat, headlight on-off switch, Honda MP08 coil). Next season will bring a couple more changes - even better rear shocks (Koni) and I'm going to revert back to the 16" rear wheel. I may try to mount up the hard bags too.

2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

That’s a nice looking, well sorted bike!

Raymond likes this.
  3. my first post ... i just joined but i been lurking for ages ... bought my fresh built bike off another bloke and quit my project bike anyways i been busy making it mine ... second pic is how i bought it (assuming i figured how to post correctly).

Attached Files:

ThatXS650Guy, IBeedle, food and 2 others like this.
  4. IBeedle

IBeedle XS650 Member

Dusty dirtroads:
    Is that a 21” front wheel?

5. Yes. rear is 16 .. plan is to put a spoked 16 in too but i'll get other stuff done and leave it be for now, kinda like it enough to leave it there for now.

IBeedle likes this.
  6. IBeedle

IBeedle XS650 Member

It looks good, what did you use for the rim? And where did you get the spokes?

7. I bought the wheel already done with new avon tyre for 500.
    I was to build my own wheel but i could only find alloy rims with 36 holes .. then this one popped up on facebook for 500 with a brand new avon tyre so yeah, grabbed it.

8. Stelvio NTX

Stelvio NTX XS650 Member

9. Stelvio NTX

Stelvio NTX XS650 Member

nice bike,Could you tell me where you found the exhaust system.It looks very Norton Commando ish,
    Thanks Randy

10. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

That's because it is, lol. The mufflers are replica Norton Commando Peashooters, but what they call the "big bore" model. That means they have 1.5" inlets which is what's needed to fit the 1.5" O.D. headpipes on our bikes. Most Norton mufflers only have a 1 3/8" inlet. I got them from a Norton shop, Commando Specialties. Unfortunately, they don't seem to carry them anymore. The headpipes are just the normal replacements from MikesXS.

Stelvio NTX likes this.
  11. Stelvio NTX

Stelvio NTX XS650 Member

12. Stelvio NTX

Stelvio NTX XS650 Member

OK great ,that explains it,thanks for the info.Randy

13. QWERTYMage

QWERTYMage XS650 Addict

Attached Files:

jetmechmarty, peterg and ThatXS650Guy like this.
  14. madmaxer

madmaxer XS650 Member

C949B299-CFDE-4C9C-8A76-49059E4B5F59.jpeg

Here’s mine, been tinkering on this on and off for 10+ years, always enjoy just looking at, but time to run it and show off my efforts.

Btw I don’t run those V stacks, but they did look cool.

15. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth? Top Contributor

Groovy looking cafe version MM. Love the pipes, rear brake mod, Thruxton chequers and tank art. Well done!

Mailman, madmaxer and gggGary like this.
  16. Madmaxer, I instantly recognize the Velocette font of the Yamaha, painted on the tank. Very cool.

madmaxer, Mailman and gggGary like this.
  17. madmaxer

madmaxer XS650 Member

Thanks VI , it’s actually a vinyl sticker and with so much clear coat it ended up looking like a gel emblem.

Stelvio NTX likes this.
  18. OhTimothy

OhTimothy XS650 Member

Got this 74 from a fellow who had begun "fixing" on it to get it on the road but decided it was too much for him. He had done things like 'clean' the carbs and put new floats in them but never set the float height so both carbs dribbled gas all over when the cocks were turned on. Not dissing him, just glad he didn't get too far before he gave up. I fixed the carbs, did an overall backyard refresh and paintjob and rewired it making my own harness. Starts first kick and the stock pipes sound awesome....

Attached Files:

timbeck, madmaxer, Jim and 3 others like this.
  19. Liftedzuki

Liftedzuki XS650 Addict

Lost compression (due to a sticking valve I believe), figured I should install 700cc JE pistons, new cam guide, and freshen up the top end. Bike only had 15k on it but sat for awhile. More carbon buildup than engine wear

Attached Files:

ThatXS650Guy, gggGary and Mailman like this.