I bought this beauty around a month ago. I’ve had many Atvs and Dirtbikes growing up but this is my first motorcycle for the road.
I got really lucky buying an older bike with such a big community and available parts. I mainly chose it for the price and condition. The closest DMV appointment was end of June so I’ve been using my time checking out the internals, fixing some oil weeps, changing a few aesthetics and researching basically everything about these bikes.
D3617848-D16B-476B-A8A7-92D43FE39B60.jpeg

3254C05A-025B-4611-880D-174DC7483509.jpeg

I bought this beauty around a month ago. I’ve had many Atvs and Dirtbikes growing up but this is my first motorcycle for the road.
I got really lucky buying an older bike with such a big community and available parts. I mainly chose it for the price and condition. The closest DMV appointment was end of June so I’ve been using my time checking out the internals, fixing some oil weeps, changing a few aesthetics and researching basically everything about these bikes. View attachment 192680
View attachment 192681
Great looking bike.

I got really lucky buying an older bike with such a big community and available parts. I mainly chose it for the price and condition. The closest DMV appointment was end of June so I’ve been using my time checking out the internals, fixing some oil weeps, changing a few aesthetics and researching basically everything about these bikes. View attachment 192680
View attachment 192681

Looks like you bought a good one! Lots of well executed mods. Nice! :geek:

Do you know what mufflers those are? They look like they might be Conti replicas. A pic of the back ends would help. If they are Conti replicas, it sure would be nice to know where they came from.

Do you know what mufflers those are? They look like they might be Conti replicas. A pic of the back ends would help. If they are Conti replicas, it sure would be nice to know where they came from.

They are one of the few mystery parts I haven’t found online. When I first got the bike they were covered in black on the inside tips and I just happened to wipe it one day to discover some cool looking circular welds.
029D1495-E5E6-46AC-9D65-21860AE1A930.jpeg
C0EA129F-E0CD-478C-B8E1-397C4BF0FE44.jpeg

Oh my, I think you've got old BUB Conti replica mufflers there. The Conti is one of the prettiest mufflers ever made, in my opinion. Unfortunately, BUB doesn't make their replica anymore. I have them in black on my Moto Guzzi .....

4IoRTzd.jpg

Well that explains the BUB stamp on one of the flanges haha. This bike keeps surprising me with cool little things. Thanks for the info
94D8D6C3-496E-4534-8FE1-AA36B66B2855.jpeg

They were the first thing I changed. I wanted a more upright riding position so I put some black Rethal bars like I had on my dirt bike. Much more comfortable for my height
If I may ask, what is your height or reach. I'm fairly tall and hoping superbike bend will work for me.

I have heard BUBs on Harleys, but never on an XS650. On Harleys, they are loud,loud,loud! Too loud in my mind (ears). A friend had them on his Sportster and would blast parked cars to see which one's alarm would go off. He was very successful.

This is a pretty typical answer from someone talking about their own bike, but I feel it’s “just right.” At idle and a couple stand still revs its aggressive but not obnoxious. I’m waiting for a dmv appointment to get M license, but the few times I’ve taken her down the street it really sounds great. I wouldn’t want it any louder, yet in the tourist town I live in, it’s quite enough to turn heads. Which is honestly needed as the out-of-towners seem to drive with their blindfolds on.:whistle::bike:

If I may ask, what is your height or reach. I'm fairly tall and hoping superbike bend will work for me.

Im about 6 foot. But I’m just more used to the upright riding position of my dirt bike and that was my main motivation for the bar change. Also I never took her out on a real ride in town with those bars so I couldn’t really say how they would feel over time. For the record my new bar position is 2 inches taller and just under an inch pulled back toward me.

View attachment 193181
Found an XS650 small enough to fit in the garage, just didn't fit in the trunk
:cool:
View attachment 193185

OMG! That one made me laugh out loud! That’s great. I would’ve loved to see that thing running around.
Nice looking Maico too! I used to go to motocross races back in the 70’s. You would often see a Maico leading the pack…..right up till it broke. :laugh2: We used to call them Maico Breako!

View attachment 193181
Found an XS650 small enough to fit in the garage, just didn't fit in the trunk
:cool:
View attachment 193185

That is figgin awesome :laugh::laugh: must be a blast to ride.

That Maico bike is pretty sweet too, an air cooled 490 two smoker dirt bike with twin rear shocks? Classic cool. Never heard of it before, it’s a bit before my time (my 82 XS is a cool decade older than me :D)

Back