Lets talk frames

ShaggyXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 72 XS2. If I am unable to get the title what year frames will all my stuff bolt right up to? I don't want to go the neck route. Preferably I would like to get a 72 frame of course.

For a direct bolt on of everything a 72 and maybe 73 is it. 73 has a different tank, seat but I think if you use both 72 pieces they will fit.
70, 71 don't have the E-start. 74 went to the longer neck, and swing arm, and many other detail changes including the engine and engine mounts.

Getting a title for your frame even if it involves a trip out of state is usually the "easiest" or maybe I should say least hard.

Oh crap you are in WV! different rules
WEST VIRGINIA
Definitions
Antique Motor Vehicle. Any motor vehicle which is more than twenty-five years old and is owned solely
as a collector's item.
Classic Motor Vehicle. A motor vehicle which is more than twenty-five years old and is registered
pursuant to section three [§ 17A-10-3] of this article and is used for general transportation.

Well the bike was titled in DC. I called the state police and it is not on the stolen list. I called DC DMV and all they would tell me was that it was previously registered and titled there. the lady who gave it to my brother in law said it was her brothers bike and he has been dead for years. It sat in her basement for more than 20 years. She is old and I don't think she is going to be much help. A little crazy I'm told. I guess I need some help from a forum member in NY.NH or VT.

I think you would not worry about DC at all, get a hold of someone at your STATE dmv office not the local office and see what they need to have.

A hand written bill of sale with the old lady's siggy might ease things along at your DMV.

I would put anything about the dead brother on it, just her selling a 1972 yamaha XS2 motorcycle for $XXX to you.

I think you would not worry about DC at all, get a hold of someone at your STATE dmv office not the local office and see what they need to have.

A hand written bill of sale with the old lady's siggy might ease things along at your DMV.

I would put anything about the dead brother on it, just her selling a 1972 yamaha XS2 motorcycle for $XXX to you.

West Virginia says I need a title. Bill of sale won't work/ I'm still going to get one though.

Did you make it clear to DMV the bike is an antique? I typo'd; I wouldn't put anything about the dead brother on the BOS. Good luck I did a looser deal in Wisconsin took over a year but got a clean title last month. I think the DMV person just wanted the file closed (off her desk) by the end of the year (wink) sometimes it's just persistence...

Back