1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Life is a lot of fun when you're as easily amused as I am.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Downeaster, Nov 24, 2021 at 5:52 PM.

1. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

I have a Keurig coffee maker, have had for many years. Over time, the K-cup holder collects a lot of coffee ground fines. No real way to get in there and clean it out with a paper towel, usually end up disassembling it to clean it.

Mrs. Downeaster mentioned it was getting pretty nasty so I was working up the ambition to clean it, wishing I had a micro-vacuum so I could just suck that stuff out of there without having to disassemble it.

Got to thinking...I've got a itty-bitty vacuum pump out of an inkjet printer. Hmmmm. I've also built a cyclone-type dust separator for my big vac that is stupid simple to make and works very well. HMMMMMMMMM. If I was to make a miniature version of that...

minivac.jpg

Had a few odds and ends of surgical tubing and various fittings from some sort of medical device I stripped for parts and used a little hot glue to hold things in place. Et Voila! MicroVac! Runs on DC and I hooked my power supply to it and spun it up at 6vdc and it will suck that pudding container flat! Cleaned the grounds out of the cup holder slick as a smelt.

I accepted that as "proof of concept" so I think I'll slick it up a little bit. At full load (as in sucking the container out of shape), it was pulling about 800 milliamps at something over 6 volts. I have a 7.5 volt wall wart good for 1800 milliamps, so that should suffice as a power supply. Mount things to some sort of base, include a switch and get some longer bits of tubing and I can see it coming in handy from time to time. I'll have to buy some tubing, everything else came out of my stash.

Signal, MaxPete, Adamc and 5 others like this.
  2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

3. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

A very wise friend of mine once said: "Nothing was ever made that couldn't be modified." It's basically his "Rule # 1". True dat. That one rule has put me in "invent mode" many, many times. (Even when I was working.) I often took materials "off the shelf" and used them in a manner inconsistent with their original function, combining them into something new, to solve on-the-job problems. People thought I was some kind of genius. Nope, just resourceful. I've said it before: "use what you have, make what you need." People do it all the time, not knowing they're "some kind of genius". So, everyone, keep up the good work!

MaxPete, Adamc, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  4. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Cool idea DE - I'm swipin' it!

Adamc and Downeaster like this.
  5. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

“We haven't got the money, so we'll have to think”
    ― Ernest Rutherford

Adamc and Jim like this.
  6. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Feel free. I only request that you donate the royalty fees to the charity of your choice. If I may be so bold, I suggest the Max Pete Barley Soup Research Fund.

MaxPete, Mailman and Adamc like this.
  7. Adamc

Adamc XS650 MEDDLER XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Wales
    If shit was gold, a poor man would be born with no ass hole!

8. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor