Lighting question

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I get mixed answers when I ask builders about this so I'll give it a try here. Is there a way to take two of those model A lights and set them up to do all of the following:

-Running
-Brake
-Signal

Basically it would act kind of like a car does. Would it be possible to add a second flasher relay to the brake light to make one be interrupted and act as a signal when you hit the signal switch?

Yes. You would use a relay (not a second flasher relay) to invert the turn signal to turn the tail light off on one side when it flashed. You could also flash the brake light on for the signal, if you did not allow the brake to hold it on steady during that time. I don't know if flashing the tail light while the brake light was on would be noticeable enough.

I think there's a trailer towing lighting kit that you could use parts from that gives you something close to the above. If not, I can draw something up.

i did a brake and running light. they had a set up oin the horse mag. got an led marker tlight and used a resister think it was a 100 omhs but the running light aint bright enought but brake is . ill try to fine mag and post it

Like xjwmx said, you can buy a trailer converter that does what you need.

If you want to build something yourself, here are a couple schematics.

This one is what I'm running on my bike. It allows you to use single "element" LEDs for all three functions. This won't work with conventional bulbs.
turnbox.gif

This one I drew up but never built. It uses two standard automotive relays and a resistor. The front turn signal bulbs are used as the pull-down resistors on the outer legs of the relays. If you use LED bulbs on the front then you will need to add resistors instead. This is drawn up for conventional dual element bulbs.
TurnRelay.jpg

Thanks guys. I think these will work. Quick questions when you are wiring bikes what size wire are you using for various components:

-Main wire up backbone to headlight
-Signals/brake
-Starter
-Battery Ground
-Switches
-Rectifier
-Stator
-horn

Capt_Zoom;

I would use about a #6 gauge for the starter motor cable and the battery ground cable. For the battery to main fuse to ignition switch and to the rectifier I would use #14 gauge. All the rest can be #16 gauge.

Back