Lighting troublshooting advice requested

uebe

XS Goober
Reaction score
I'm very close to wrapping up an '80G I picked up. PO had removed some parts including the wire harness prior to selling it to me.

Put harness back on bike, some parts missing, so I don't have the light checker and bypassed reserve lighting unit - L/Y to L/B

Everything electrical now works except head and tail light. With the key on, shouldn't I see voltage at that bypass connection?

Oddly, if I "jumper" a wire from positive to that connection the lights come on and stay on even with the jumper removed. I hear a click from a relay when I jumper it.

Also tried the electric start to see if that would trigger the relay, but no dice.

Opinions/stray thoughts appreciated

Hi uebe,
what's supposed to happen on an XS650 that's new enough to NOT have a headlight on/off switch is that the rear, running, brake & signal lights will work when the key is turned on.
The headlight turns on when the alternator starts working.
The half of the safety relay that turns the headlight on is a latching relay so the headlight don't go out if the engine stalls. It'll stay latched until the key is turned off.
My best guess is that your wiring ain't quite right and your alternator ain't working.

Thanks Fred.......... I thought, (hoped), I had enough "leg" to fool the latch so to speak. Now it's time for Curly's charging guide !

Back