Listening to what an old hoss is trying to tell me, XS1 wake up

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
She was an Iowa farm girl, The Weathervane Man had her parked in the garage behind this truck,

View attachment 43096

View attachment 43097

After a tour of his projects and some interesting tales she came home with me.
That was last summer and a couple of weeks ago "weathervane" went up on the lift.

So like me this thread is going to wander around a bit fairly aimlessly, a few early bike details and pics, some of what I'm doing, what I find, what I should I do's??? how things go (and don't go)
A few pics from just out of the shed.

xs1 the start 006.JPG xs1 the start 032.JPG

xs1 the start 002.JPG xs1 the start 028.JPG

xs1 the start 019.JPG

some "odd" early parts.

XS650 021.JPG xs1filtera.jpg

xs13.jpg xs15.jpg

20150824_100712.jpg

And some cleaning done.

lh cleaned.jpg XS650 021.JPG

Looks like it might have the early brake pedal. Don't lose it.
I'd recommend the 8mm oil pump upgrade, with matching restrictor.
I wonder if it has the needle bearing wristpins.
You know, we have yet to see an early tensioner system with the sprocket 'tween the cylinders...

Odd parts indeed . The sump filter looks indestructible, but also tough to clean.Who is the cutie pie?

great find :wink2:looking forward to following this thread

Love the kiddies trike on the far right . Looks like an early collectable model . :wink2:

The oil was dirty but no chunks or shavings metal or rubber in the pan or filters. Sump bolts have flat and lock washers I don't think they are the easy twist off type.
Valve clearances were at spec.
Early tappet cover.

View attachment 56935

Rust buster and oil in the plug holes and squirted at cam and valves, lots of kicking to circulate oil, then a compression test, about 6 kicks, pressure came up fairly smartly, 143,146 psi!! With about 20K showing, it looks like the engine may have been out before. Plugs looked reasonably clean and dry. Still need to do a head stud retorque, the 6mm above the cam tensioner wasn't even finger tight. Engine was covered in oil and dirt which preserved things pretty well.

Straw vote;
There is a repainted set of tins ready.

70 paint1.jpg

Or the 70's pin stripe job in just OK shape.

Bring em on 2many! This thread can be a repository for "early" oddities, Hey that's me too!

Bring em on 2many! This thread can be a repository for "early" oddities, Hey that's me too!

Haha, well, alrighty then!

Those early 'slotted' valve covers and that XS1 3-screw clutch worm are definitely unique.

For the benefit of others, here's your threads on those oddities:

Valve covers: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42833
Early XS1 clutch worm: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?p=428176#post428176
Ignition switch servicing: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42161

Early models Tech Bulletins:

Yamaha XS1, XS1B, XS2, TX650 Tech Bulletins, Service Data, Brochures

256 Engine change chronology
Yamaha XS1, XS1B Early instrument servicing

Early model camchain tensioner issues (unresolved as yet):

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42215

Last edited:
I remember seeing that for sale on craigslist and thinking I should go look it over (about 25 miles away from me) and see how stuck it was. But, the Wisconsin vacuum cleaner swooped in again. Waiting a couple of weeks to do anything about it had nothing to do with my missing out, I'm sure. I'll be watching to see just how much of a bone-head I am.:doh:

how bad is the pinstriped tins? Looks like all the pieces are there, and striped well. Can it be saved? I kinda like it. That green would be nice too. If the rest of the bike turned out as nice.
You have found a very good painter. That other set you had done, the butterscotch tins, is perfect. Same painter?

well the pinstripe could actually buff up decent but it has the usual bike knocking around the garage for decades chips and scrapes. Two painters, XS650 for paint trades, 4 paint jobs done, more on the way. As typically happens, it takes a while to get the paint back. I'm still waiting on that butterscotch. Sad story, but I messed up a really sharp 77 Maxi maroon job this weekend, danged ethanol gas anyways.

Iowa Mark, I'm gonna take you up on your coffee offer some day, yeah this bike was on CL for a long time with a too high asking price, I had the number on my phone so while on the road to N dak after two other bikes, thought what the heck and called to low ball. He answered and took my offer, so I headed down through Iowa on the way back. I wasn't sure how it was going to end up when he came out with a shot gun and started pumping shells! But Morris is a nice and interesting guy, he still owes me a weathervane from a side deal.
While it's fairly complete It's a good thing I have, ahem, a few, early bikes to work from for parts. I'm looking for an original paint 70 tank and side covers yet.

Nice links 2many, thanks! I'm sure more early oddities are yet to surface.

xs650 008.JPG xs650 009.JPG

xs650 010.JPG xs650 011.JPG

Hard to not get fired up when seeing finds like this.
I really want to find another and do a total restore, I think it would be a good project
beings how in about 4 more years or so I`ll be retired

Back