1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Lithium batteries, a primer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Jan 10, 2019.

1. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I um have strayed from the fold a bit; purchased a bike that needs a new lithium battery. While doing near endless "lithium battery" searches to find a very elusive battery; size, power, features combo. I found this thread the definitive thread on Lithium Batteries in the Aprilia forum. If you are considering lithium it's near mandatory reading. Note the time span, this thread has been going for 8 years so far. It covers the early pitfalls and resulting improvements as they occur. My post "if approved" found near the end of the 7 page! thread hints at my latest "insanity" Don't worry it's just an aberration, if survived I have endless XS650 projects awaiting. :confused:
    Also my quick and not tested take is that the earthX batteries offer the best combo of features, power, and size if you are interested in a lithium for your custom XS, especially one with electric start. They aren't the cheapest, but cheap can really bite you in lithium tech.

Superjet, Jim, TwoManyXS1Bs and 4 others like this.
  2. Ratranger

Ratranger XS650 Addict

The earthx etx12a is a good battery and can easily run the estart when it's over 50*F. Below that the battery needs a little "warm up" of bumping the starter and then sitting for a minute. But from what I've read this is fairly normal behavior for them. If you ride all weather and use estart I would say a good AGM is a better choice, the motobatt brand is great for the price. But if like me you have limited room, go for the 12a sized earthx since you get over and under charge protection.

3. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

*whew*, that was a long, but informative thread.
    Thanx, gggGary.

BTW, I didn't see your post in there...

Superjet, gggGary and Jim like this.
  4. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Hmmmmm, another battery to consider for "The Basketcase". I was looking for something small, that could still run the estart, housed in a 'fake' oil tank. Face it, kicking your bike looks cool, but someone once said "...kick it for show, electric start is when you have someplace to go..." And, we ain't gettin' any younger... o_O I mean, I'll kick it twice, and if it doesn't fire, I'll hit the electric start. It's a back-up system... I don't wanna hurt myself...:eek:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Jim and gggGary like this.
  5. gggGary

look now, :cool: first time poster I had to be "vetted" :doh:

I am now chewing on the EarthX ETX24C @ 259
    Ah: 7.8A
    Pulse Crank Amps (PCA): 420A
    Cold Crank Amps (CCA): 270A
    Weight: 2.6 lb

vs EarthX ETX36C @ $349 same size housing! More cells packed in?
    Ah: 12.4A
    Pulse Crank Amps (PCA): 680A
    Cold Crank Amps (CCA): 320A
    Weight: 3.9 lb

Jim and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  6. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I have a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 in my build. Charges great and starts great with e-start! 210cc and very small. I have a li-ion charger but not the Shorai. No issues was even thinking of getting one for my Roadstar.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  7. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

Wow, didn't realize you were talking about that much mullah.

What about those cordless drill batteries?

Scott

gggGary and Jim like this.
  8. gggGary

Found one of these on Amazon open box 220 so pulled the trigger also got a
    Tecmate Optimate Lithium 4s 0.8A, TM-471, 8-Step 12.8/13.2V 0.8A Battery Saving Charger-Tester-maintainer
    will report on what this all looks, works will be adding a voltmeter and a disconnect switch to that bike also, it has an ECU already famous for sucking batteries down in storage.

Superjet likes this.
  9. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

I have this charger and got it on sale at Canadian Tire was a little over $50 and has the lithium battery option. Does the job. Capture+_2019-01-13-19-01-13.png

gggGary likes this.
  10. Has anyone looked at the new Antigravity restart technology batteries? I'm looking at the AT12-BS

cheers

11. gggGary

Looked at em and really liked that feature, but they didn't have the case size I needed.

Stardust83 likes this.