Little Wheel Help

Sud_City_Ginger

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Pretty new to the site and really new to these bikes. Picked up a 1979 basket case from a guy and went with a TC Bros hard tail. Picked up some wire wheels from a guy who said he had them on a 79 project as well. Had them shipped to me and went to put them on to start my build. Unfortunately the front wheel shaft doesn't fit int he front forks. I have a set of forks from a CB350 and they fit....they are more narrow and fit nicely on the shaft ends. Then on the back wheel, the hub is too wide. The section with the sprocket is way to wide for the TC Bros back end.

Any suggestion on what to do? I have to figure out how to get the shaft out of the front wheel but I hope I can just swap that out. The back wheel, do I need to lace a new hub or can the sprocket part be switched out? Thanks in advance! I am new to all this.

IMG_6872.JPG IMG_6873.JPG IMG_6874.JPG IMG_6875.JPG IMG_6876.JPG

Hey Everyone. Pretty new to the site and really new to these bikes. Picked up a 1979 basket case from a guy and went with a TC Bros hard tail. Picked up some wire wheels from a guy who said he had them on a 79 project as well. Had them shipped to me and went to put them on to start my build. Unfortunately the front wheel shaft doesn't fit int he front forks. I have a set of forks from a CB350 and they fit....they are more narrow and fit nicely on the shaft ends. Then on the back wheel, the hub is too wide. The section with the sprocket is way to wide for the TC Bros back end.
Any suggestion on what to do? I have to figure out how to get the shaft out of the front wheel but I hope I can just swap that out. The back wheel, do I need to lace a new hub or can the sprocket part be switched out? Thanks in advance! I am new to all this.

View attachment 131337 View attachment 131338 View attachment 131339 View attachment 131340 View attachment 131341

Hi Ginger and welcome,
that back wheel has a cush-drive hub which means it ain't an XS650 wheel. Your photo shows it's in backwards too.
Unless your hardtail conversion has a crossframe jackshaft?
Some hardtailers have used a car jack to spread the hardtail an inch or so further apart.
How far does yours need to move?
It's not clear to me whether the front wheel don't fit your Yamaha forks or they don't fit the Honda set?
That front wheel's hub ain't right for an XS650 wheel neither.
If it's a Yamaha wheel at all, the axle fits in a sleeve and should just slide out with a little persuasion.
Use an adapter sleeve inside the hub's center tube if the install needs a thinner axle.
Use adapter sleeves in the fork ends if the install needs a fatter one.

Last edited:
@fredintoon THANKS for the reply. I know the back wheel is on backwards. I threw it on there to take some pics of the situation.

The back frame would have to be stretched a bit, there is quite a bit of difference. The axle diameters seem right. The front axle has space for a thinner fork clamp like on a Honda CB350. Tried to knock out the front axle and also tried unscrewing it with no luck. Sounds like the easier option is to get different wheels. I just wish I knew what these went to. Thanks again for the help.

wheel center to sprocket flange distance is a biggie that's gotta be spot on to keep the chain tracking properly. Custom wheels can be adapted but it's pita and will usually require custom made spacers, a lathe or services of decent machine shop.
20180420_140412.jpg

Back