Long distance run in two weeks 565 miles!!!

Reaction score
I know it's bike related but i didn't know were else to post! I'm driving my
1980xs650 with slight mods and very uncomfterble handlebars from Lynn ma
to blairsville pa to see my wife and kids...So u know it's all or nothing haha
lol. Has anyone else done some long trips with these bikes? And what should
I prepare for? Like parts wise, also I will be taken pics along the way and posting
them hopfully not of me on the side of the road angry asking god "whhyyy". Thanks
for a ur support!:eek:

Make sure your charging system is working properly i.e. 14.5 volts at 3000 rpm. Also a good idea to install a voltmeter on the bike................gives you some warning before you get stranded along the road.

If your bike still has the original fuse panel with the 4 glass fuses...............they are quite unreliable due to their age. Remove and install automotive blade type fuses.

For safety................are the tires in good condition?? Is there sufficient pad thickness left on the brakes?

If the clutch cable is old, check both ends do not have any fraying of cable strands. While you have the left side engine cover off.................its a good time to clean and re-grease the clutch worm gear actuator (don't lose the ball bearing).

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks retiredhentalmen I just went threw my charging system
and ur right it was a little lame, so I clean what I could and
relplaced what was needed...I will change out the old glass
fuses cause u make a great point and for 20 bucks of assurance
it's well worth it. As for tires I just put some new kicks on her
and but the larges meat I could fit on the back, I know it's
not good for the street but will prove to be well worth the money
on the open highway!, thanks for the advice on the fuse pannel
you might have saved me from a mental break Down some were
half way to Pa haha. :laugh:

Oh and the breaks are brand new about 250 miles on the
.... Really wish I had the cash for that brembo brake setup
for the trip but I'll be ok lol

Is the oil fresh? Is the chain adjusted?
I think there are several here who've done "long" trips.
Barb, comes to mind right off. My longest day almost 500. Longest trip 1300.
Locally there are several poker runs that end up as 300 mile days.
Once you get past the "what is that noise?" moments the miles ease by for me, but I don't travel the interstate hi-ways and my speeds are moderate.

I did 550 miles on my XS650 in a day... it was fun!
I used the passenger pegs as an alternative resting position for my feet. I did have handle bars that I like. The secret is to cruise at a speed that the bike isn't stressing you (sweet spot in terms of vibes) and to stop frequently enough and get off the bike to loosen up and stretch.

Growl - 'I used the passenger pegs as an alternative resting position for my feet!'

I do the same on long trips, but have found I get a slight weave at speeds above 75 mph - weave disappears when feet are returned to normal pegs. Anyone else found this?

Make sure your charging system is working properly i.e. 14.5 volts at 3000 rpm. Also a good idea to install a voltmeter on the bike................gives you some warning before you get stranded along the road.

This is one of the best additions you can make on these bikes, seeing as how the charging system is imperative. Can't emphasize it enough!
Thank you R.G, it has saved my bacon.

Best tool is your cell phone and a good friend who'll come to pick you up if you need him. Beyond that a decent tool kit that will tighten or loosen most of the stuff. Maybe some extra fuses,plugs, bulbs ( I go through a lot of tail light bulbs) and electrical tape. And of course what the fellas above me said. Have fun though and be careful.

If your handle bars are not comfotable for a short run they will be miserabl for a long run. Are there any places around that work on bikes or atv's that might have old parts? The bars on my 75 came off some sort of atv. The guy I got them from runs a salvage / repair place for dirt bikes and atv's.
Went in and asked if he had anything higher and wider than what I had. He looked at my bike and said I think so. He dug around in behind a pile of tires and pulled out a set of bars. He couldn't remember what they came off. They were higher and wider than what I had. I asked what he wanted for them, he said "your helping me clean up the place, take em"
They were about 2 inches higher, about 3 inches more pull back and about 3 inches wider. Now it don't make my back hurt on the longer rides.
A month or so ago I did an 11 hour one way ride. The only problem was my throttle hand was a bit tired. The rest of me was fine.

I was thinking I could just flip mine back
I have em flipper to give it a batter look and
tuck me closer to the tank when I'm screaming
good idea tho!

extra plugs!!! get a vista criuse throttle lock so you can shake off the cramps. I hate them soooo much!!

Check your alt brushes before you go, if they are close to being worn out. replace them. I did a 3k mile loop this summer on my xs, and the worst part was my seat, it was uncomfortable and that tortured my butt the whole time. So adjust your bars or replace them unless you like pain.

I prepare for? Like parts wise, also I will be taken pics along the way and posting
them hopfully not of me on the side of the road angry asking god "whhyyy". Thanks

I just did 450+ on my hardtail... :-D

Posted via Mobile

Went easily. I actually was doing it to test things out. I rode it kind of hard even. Took an extra set of plugs and a cpl tools with a bag full of clothes and a big ass school book to do hw. The only thing was that with the back pack I was pretty much fully compressing the seat springs. Meaning I truly was riding a hard tail the whole way. One of the top motor mount bolts (one that holds the actually holds the mount together) vibrated loose and dropped when I put down the sidestand at the destination in Dallas.

Posted via Mobile

How did the ride go? Got any pics?

Back