Long Term Test of Seal-All for Carb Floats - Update

These are all really good ideas to repair nasty brass floats.I tried Damon's tank sealer on some that were literally full of pinholes and while it sealed the holes it made the floats heavy.Perhaps brush it on instead of dipping floats in sealer like I did.

Tank sealer, I think I would give that a try. Red Kote can be thinned with acetone to brush on very easily. Multiple coats are possible too. It's kind of too thick to brush straight out of the can.

Scott

Last edited:
Another +1 for All-Seal. I've used it to seal old diaphragms on several old bikes with long term success.

Another +1 for All-Seal. I've used it to seal old diaphragms on several old bikes with long term success.
I didn't have such luck, peeled right off the diaphragms after just a little use. Doesn't stick well plus doesn't flex the same equals falls off pretty quick.

Last edited:
I have an 18-month update as to the effectiveness of Seal-All on a leaky brass carb float.

As you may recall, my test vehicle is a 1974 Kawasaki F11 Enduro 250 which had a leaking float which is no longer available for purchase.
I had my sweet dirt bike out for a spin in the back acreage of the property today.

sealal2.jpeg

Happily, the carb did not flood. The Seal-All seems to have held up, immersed constantly in 91 octane non-ethanol gas with Stabil treatment.

However, I checked my test item, a piece of brass pipe covered similarly with Seal-All and immersed in the same gas.
The Seal-All has deteriorated significantly.

Sealall1.jpeg

Results of this test:
It appears that Seal-All is adequate as a sealant for about one year, or maybe more, but probably not as long as 18 months.

Last edited:
That was a very good long term test! Very informative. And you KNOW how much I like that little enduro of yours!
You don’t see very many of those around and rarely in that condition.

That was a very good long term test! Very informative. And you KNOW how much I like that little enduro of yours!
You don’t see very many of those around and rarely in that condition.
Thanks Bob,

If you were my neighbor, you would have access to the Enduro and my trails.
Just wear a helmet, as I insist of all riders..;)

Following my jaunt today, the F11 came into the garage to join The Gang for a clean-up,

Radar 008.JPG

and then it is going into the heated winter workshop where the engine is getting a full rebuild (the crank seals are beginning to go after 45 years) and the broader restoration will be undergoing another phase. I imagine that the Kaw will be happy in the springtime. :) I'll provide pics in a couple months.

Yes, that's a pretty common Mikuni float. In fact, you may have some on hand and not even realize it because they are the same as used in the 650 BS38s .....

https://www.z1enterprises.com/mikuni-brass-float-assembly-h2-h1-kh500.html

From the part number, these appear to be genuine Mikuni floats but I guess the only way to know for sure would be to buy a couple. If they prove to be the real deal, that's a good price for them.

Yes, that's a pretty common Mikuni float. In fact, you may have some on hand and not even realize it because they are the same as used in the 650 BS38s .....

From the part number, these appear to be genuine Mikuni floats but I guess the only way to know for sure would be to buy a couple. If they prove to be the real deal, that's a good price for them.
Interesting !! In the past my searches for this float by way of "Kaw F11 250 1974" have come up dry, as does the Partzilla link offered above by Skull ("Not Available"), the page says, and the Partzilla "related fitment" bikes are all Kawasakis from the 70's and 60's.
I am headed down to the garage to pull the F11 carb and one of my spare BS38's to compare the floats....I'll report back.

The essential measurements of the float from my VM30SC Mikuni carb are very close to the BS38, I am happy to report. Thank you.
So, I ordered two from Z1.
Ordered a set of engine seals this morning (the only one available) and a modern gasket set.
I'm fully stocked with Johnny Walker Red, so the winter months are looking to be productive. :)

Last edited:
How embarrassing.

My graduate school training was very heavily infused with the experimental sciences, driven of course by the Scientific Method.
However, I have made a classic experimental mistake: I reported results before all the data was in.

I assumed that the condition of the Seal-All-treated float in the Kaw F11 would resemble the brass test item which has been immersed in gas for 18 months.

This is not the case.
Upon examination today, the float in the F11 has a fully intact layer of Seal-All, which covers the full circumference of one float, so one section (below the gas line) has been fully immersed for 18 months.

KawF11Rebuild 009.JPG

The difference between the brass pipe test item and the "real-life" float test item is that the gas in the former was stagnant, while the treated float has had a changing body of gasoline exposure (I ride the bike regularly).

Thus, I can amend the results of the test: It appears that Seal-All holds up for at least 18 months on a brass float in a bike that is ridden regularly. In the Northeast, that is. I start it, but don't ride it in the winter.

Back