longevity reports, Spray Max 2K ?

i think the etching is to roughen the surface. if the rough surface is then filled in and covered by clear, i would think it would go back to shiny. at least as long as the etching is just mechanical. could probably roughen enough to suit you by some kind of very fine blasting as well. put the same coating over wood and the wood would be glossy and shine, so yeah...

In searching I see that ProXL have aerosol cans of 2K Self Etch Clear Lacquer for diamond cut wheels. This may be the thing for those polished side covers. I have used the ProXL 2K Clear on a tank and it has very good petrol resistance even when rubbed with a petrol soaked cloth. But I do notice that on a hot day when the tank warms up it does mark when I run my finger nails over it. These mark polish off easily. Also seen this on cars in the sun.

I mention 2K clear lacquer because I found an account of someone using it over a base coat on an engine and claimed it had good durability, but I would not be surprised if it softens and would get marked if your boots rub it braking or changing gear.

Back